PDA

View Full Version : Punctured Lung and Scuba?

Salamander
07/23/2007, 07:20 PM
A few years ago I punctured a lung in a rock climbing accident.

Growing up as a swimmer gave me great lungs. I can free dive to 40 feet and can swim under water for 50yds (two laps of a pool). I've always snorkeled but never tried scuba.

So the question is...Can I scuba?

Thanks

Mark

hogpark7430
07/24/2007, 11:49 AM
I don't see why not, but I am not a doc. You should contact DAN Divers alert Network and speek to their docs.

billsreef
07/24/2007, 06:53 PM
Consult your personal doctor as well as DAN. If your doctor has any questions, put him in touch with DAN.

Ron Leversee
07/31/2007, 05:39 PM
Agree.... Many family doc's don't understand diving related health issues...so let your doctor contact DAN if he needs to!!!

kh6sat
07/31/2007, 05:42 PM
Have your personal doctor contact DAN.
Phone 1-919-684-2948

Salamander
07/31/2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was unfamiliar with DAN but will be checking into it with my doc. I'm glad I didn't hear an overwhelming "NO." That at least gives me some hope.

Thanks!

kh6sat
08/01/2007, 04:07 PM
If its healed I don't see why not but I am no doctor. Good luck!

joesynodontis
08/01/2007, 05:59 PM
Sorry but only a doctor can give you the oK

diveilm
08/01/2007, 08:56 PM
I know someone who had a hole in there lung, they got messed up bad and had to take a visit to a decompression tank. But if its healed I'm not sure what the risks would be. Definatley something you would want to get checked out. Like the previous posts, Talk to DAN. They offer great dive insurance too. Regular insurance does not cover diving related injuries usually. Come to North Carolina and see some History!!!

dragonette
08/19/2007, 05:51 PM
The lungs are a fast healing tissue.

If you are completely healed, it shouldnt make a difference.

If the accident was a few weeks ago, I would wait for the injury to fully heal.

Im a surgical tech. So, this is my opinion, but an educated one.

Good Luck
Jessica/S.Florida

godlyme
08/21/2007, 01:42 AM
well your lungs will certainly be under alot of pressure, but if you were able to free dive down 40 ft and had no problems, i would say you might be good to go....but as everyone is saying certainly ask the dan docs. your persoal doc wont know jack about diving and lung injury im assuming.

billsreef
08/21/2007, 05:47 AM
dragonette,

[welcome]

Capt_Cully
08/26/2007, 04:39 PM
only thing I'd worry about is the point of the puncture? was it big enough that you had to have a chest tube? Did your lung collapse? How long ago was this?

my concern would be what is called a Bleb. This is an area where some of the smaller air sacks have been broken down leaving a larger thinner sack near the surface of the lungs plueral surface. Adding positive pressure to one of these would lead you right back to the hospital. If it happened at 60ft underwater it could lead you to the morgue. All this is unlikely, but why take chances you don't need to. Not trying to be rude, just giving a little heads up from a guy that's done lots of lung surgeries.

Get checked by your doctor. Get cleared. Get diving, it's a wonderful sport if done safely.

Good Luck!

Capt_Cully
10/11/2007, 06:47 AM
I talked about this with one of the Thoracic surgeons I used to work for. As long as the original cause of insult (broken rib, foreign body, etc) has been removed or healed, your lung will heal good as new. You won't have to worry about adding positive pressure to your lung. Especially if it's been years since your injury.

You'd still want to get it checked out by your own doctor, because we were in agreement, 50 feet down is not the time to realize you've got a problem......