PDA

View Full Version : brand new setup. anything else i need?

sbladen
07/24/2007, 05:30 AM
Hi there,
I have a 30 gal tank with a dual bio wheel and two powerheads. I recently just purchased my first two fish which are two clown fish. (their names are borat and nemo...lol) I also have two pieces of live rock. My question is do i need any more equipment and when is the time that i can start to add soft coral to my tank?

Shooter7
07/24/2007, 05:38 AM
What do the "two pieces" of live rock weigh? You need at least 30 lbs of LR in there for adequate biofiltration. Not sure what other equipment you might need since you don't list everything specifically. Hopefully, you have a heater. Can't speak of what kinds of corals you could do without knowing what kind of lights you have, test kits you have to monitor water chemistry parameters vital to coral survival, refractometer to maintain salinity, RO/DI for pure water source, how strong the powerheads you have are, etc. If you're not running a skimmer, you should be planning on fairly frequent water changes.

Zann
07/24/2007, 06:15 AM
well what you have right now might be good for a fowlr tank
unless the two rocks weight 30lbs or more
if you dont have that much live rock then use the bio wheels for the bio .
if you have enough live rock then i wouldnt use the bio wheels

if you want corals then power heads would be nice to add for flow.
and the live rock amount i would say one and half lbs for each gal of water.
a skimmer isnt a have to have but it helps alot when keeping coral .
if you dont run a skimmer do a 15% to 20% water change each week .

daven
07/24/2007, 06:15 AM
Patience. You need patience. Post your questions here, read and triple check anything you plan to do. View advice you get, even from here, as suspect until you can convince yourself it is good.

brward5
07/24/2007, 06:23 AM
I'm hoping you have some mechanical and chemical filtration going on as well? filter media that the water is moving over, as well as carbon or purigen - generally 10x/hr turnover through the filter media is minimal. watch the clowns - they might not get along if there isnt built-in dominance. I'm assuming you got 2 either false or true perculas? they can live together, though mine did not :( next thing we need to know is how long you've been set up, what your chemical readings are (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
~Brian