PDA

View Full Version : Marc Weiss - Soft Coral Grow

Gdevine
07/24/2007, 10:04 AM
I generally don't add additives to my tank except Reef Solution and Araga Milk. A LFS sold me on buying Marc Weiss' Soft Coral Grow over the weekend.

Weiss claims that "Soft Coral Grow provides a bio-film that adheres to and enhances the coral’s mucus layer. This bio-film provides an enhanced environment for increased microplankton colonization allowing soft corals ands polyps to feed themselves more efficiently from the microbes already in the aquarium or added to it".

I dosed an hour before lights out last night and the polyp extension on my neon green trumpet was huge and my cups opened up as well!

Besides the self induced hype from Weiss anyone else use this product? Experiences?

glassbox-design
07/24/2007, 10:27 AM
weiss products may have merit, but his advertising and outrageous claims turn most people off and label them as snake oil. myself included, i would never use a weiss product. i personally would not use agramilk too, but that's just me.

it's most likely a polymer and ezyme based product used to get stimulate feedings responses....

eric

Gdevine
07/24/2007, 10:40 AM
LOL on the snake oil comment...heard that exact line from others as well.

Why don't you like Araga Milk? Been using it for years and know of many others who use it with great results. This is a proven product from all my research...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10403575#post10403575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flint&Eric
weiss products may have merit, but his advertising and outrageous claims turn most people off and label them as snake oil. myself included, i would never use a weiss product. i personally would not use agramilk too, but that's just me.

it's most likely a polymer and ezyme based product used to get stimulate feedings responses....

eric

greenbean36191
07/24/2007, 10:46 AM
I'm skeptical as well. This product description is pretty par for the course. The polyp extension and feeding response really isn't that convincing. As it turns out, a number of sugars, amino acids, and other organic chemicals will get you the same response regardless of how useful they actually are to the coral.

glassbox-design
07/24/2007, 11:19 AM
this is true. e.g. you can buy b-ionic 2-part....or you can make your own randy's 2-part.

we just arent to that level yet...sugars, amino acids, and organic chemicals can be quite useful to corals if applied correctly. most dont know that application or the ratios needed for them to be useful. quite a bit of it is a mystery to all.

as for agramilk...there are many other ways and products i prefer to dose ;)

jnc914
07/24/2007, 11:21 AM
I have used Weiss products in the past, including the product mentioned. I can't say if there was an actual difference in my tank after use, or at least I did not notice any per say. I got the same response from the LPS and softies in my old 90 gallon by just doing regular water changes and maintaining kalk and calcium. Now a days I don't add anything I can't measure.

Frick-n-Frags
07/24/2007, 01:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10403932#post10403932 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnc914
Now a days I don't add anything I can't measure.

glassbox-design
07/24/2007, 01:48 PM
i typically follow that same guideline, but there is some humor in it....being that our test kits our not accurate, yet we base our supplements on them.

i find i get in trouble most often when i adjust params based on numbers, rather than the animals reactions.

jmo.

bhdmc
07/25/2007, 11:18 AM
I have use his products in the past. Saw no results and stopped using them.

machinas
07/26/2007, 05:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10403932#post10403932 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnc914
Now a days I don't add anything I can't measure.

I've used his Phosphate-Silicate magnet once, didn't do anything, and then tried this coral vital with blackpowder additive. I think it contributed to this massive algae breakout I had which I'm still trying to get under control. Someone at a lfs told me that it's possible, because of all the excess nutrients...

RicksReefs
07/26/2007, 06:01 AM
apple juice and garden dirt will cause algae almost everytime.

nsreefer
07/26/2007, 06:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10416633#post10416633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RicksReefs
apple juice and garden dirt will cause algae almost everytime.

HAR HAR HAR, that's great!

machinas
07/26/2007, 05:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10416633#post10416633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RicksReefs
apple juice and garden dirt will cause algae almost everytime. \

ROFL, I read the ingredients on his blackpowder cr@p.

"Ingredients-Crude protein, crude fiber, quartz, Cytokinin, yeasts'

"Derived from ferment of Citrus leaves, yeasts, animal by-products"

You aren't far off ricksreef.

RicksReefs
07/26/2007, 07:39 PM
fancy words for compost... ;)