PDA

View Full Version : Durso Overflow as a Refugium

jgwinner
07/24/2007, 02:15 PM
Is it possible to hang a light on the side of a Durso overflow and use it as a refugium?

I have a 120 - it's 2x2x4, but the overflows are all at the far end so that 3 sides are exposed. So it's a large refugium. There's a 8" gap between the wall, I could easily hang a CF light back there.

A small power head or just let the 'pods float down the Durso overflow would work.

I guess I"d have to put some sand down it which might make it hard to take any of the plumbing out, but I doubt I'd be able to do that anyway.

I did a forum search but didn't get any direct hits.

Would this work? (I know in tank after the protein skimmer would be better, but just trying to see if this would be effective).

== John ==

JeffersonReef
07/24/2007, 05:19 PM
it would become a detritus trap. not to mention, you run the risk of possibly having your overflow get clogged with macro algae on accident...

pods will accumulate in the overflow no matter what.... but otherwise I would just get a fuge or make a fuge-like area on in the main take.

jgwinner
07/24/2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks ... that makes sense. I've already got a lot of little weird white things growing in there :D

I actually have two down pipes right now - I've had clogged inlets far too many times not to have a backup. The 'slots' in the overflow help immensly though, as I've never had a clog. You're right though if I had Macro in there it could get to be a mess.

== John ==