PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about John Pennekamp...

jay2525
07/24/2007, 04:12 PM
Hey all, thinking of going to Florida. I heard about this place. Sounds like it's pretty nice. I would be staying in miami, though. It seems pretty far from there without a car. So I would have to rent a car just to go there... Is it worth the extra expense and time? thanks.

bignick
07/25/2007, 11:05 AM
Ehh... I've snorkeled all over the keys including John Pennekamp. On a scale from 1-10 i'd give it a 7. I don't know if its worth renting a car though and a long drive. If i was you i would just stay in the keys next time. There are a lot of places to dive down there.

jeffbrig
07/25/2007, 05:39 PM
Just be aware that the boats from the state park go to the nearby heavily snorkeled reefs, which are (not surprisingly) in less than stellar shape. Each boat (they usually run 2 at once) carries 50+ snorkelers, so there are a ton of people in the water.

Other private charters in the area take fewer people, and go to (IMO) better spots. My wife and I like to go out on the Morning Star. They do a 4 hr sail/snorkel trip with a maximum of 6 people, and stay far away from the big boats. It's $65 per person, compared to ~$30 from the state park. But, sometimes you get lucky - the last time we went out, we were the only ones on the boat.

If you've never been on a real reef before, you should go, just for the experience. You would need a car, there's no other way in/out of the keys.

jay2525
07/25/2007, 08:33 PM
thanks guys. I've been on a reef before, but not carribean. I haven't been to florida and won't be there for long, figured I might try to go here. The big boats and ton's of people is kinda lame anyway.....