PDA

View Full Version : pH -

oscar89
07/24/2007, 05:23 PM
I'm having trouble keeping me pH up. At least once a day I have to add 2 Tablespoons of buffer to my tank just to keep it at 8.2. Then, the next day it is back down to 8.05. All the other water parameters are normal. Any ideas on how to keep the pH more stable? At least all the critters in the tank seem happy.

Thanks

hawkfish21
07/24/2007, 05:26 PM
What are you checking yuor pH with?

Zooid
07/24/2007, 06:53 PM
Not knowing anything else, I'd try to aerate the water more. You'd be amazed at how aeration will increase the pH. But, like I said, without knowing if you are using a calcium reactor, or if your house has a lot of CO2 buildup, it's anyone's guess.
I just mention aeration because that's the easiest to accomplish.

angelo184
07/24/2007, 07:06 PM
Your PH will also stabilize as your Alkalinity and Calcium stabilize as well. I would try looking into what your alk is at and see how much it is fluctuating. Also it helps if you test your water at the same time each day as temperature can affect your PH as well

oscar89
07/24/2007, 08:28 PM
I am using a pH meter to measure and I calibrated it this weekend. Alk is 13 and Ca fluuates between 320 and 400. I do not have a Ca reactor set up yet, but I will try aeration. I check pH every morning when I go to work and when I feed at night. The alk is always at 12 or 13 when I test.

Thanks, any other thoughts?

ojreef
07/25/2007, 12:17 AM
As you are probably aware, there are many things that effect PH. I noticed you said you check it twice a day. PH usually wil be lower in the morning and, rise towards the evening.

I am sending you a PM of an article written by Randy Holmes Farley. He is well published and one of the many leaders in are hobby. In the article he addresses all of the SW aquarium issues.

Hope this helps,

Thurge
07/25/2007, 08:31 AM
Airation fixed my problem a couple years back. Mine was lower than yours and I did everythign I could think of and nothing worked. Finally I added an airpump and stone and bam it was where it was supposed to be.

reefsafe
07/25/2007, 01:10 PM
where do you add the aeration?

Zooid
07/25/2007, 02:53 PM
I add my aeration to the sump......anyone with an excellent skimmer probably already has plenty of aeration.

Thurge
07/26/2007, 06:00 PM
^ same.

I can't remember if i was running a skimmer at that time or not. I LOVE Thorny Oysters and I found that my Euroreef was so efficent that they ended up starving to death. So I pulled the skimmer bought 3 more TO, a couple Trinacid clams and also added a half dozen steamer clams to the sump and experimented with Clam Skimming. Worked descent and my Oysters and clams were thriving, until the cleaner wrasse started picking on all the clams and oystersbtaking them out.

zerillit
07/30/2007, 08:32 AM
Your calcium is low also. I know PH is tied to ALK which is tied to calcium. A couple of months ago I couldn't keep calcium up. Turned out to be low magnesium. Don't know if that is the problem that is affecting PH but it's worth testing. Get yourself a magnesium test kit as you don't want to overdose magnesium, very dangerous. If it is low as mine was, you may be surprised at how much magnesium it may take to raise perameters. Did you do a water change?

oscar89
07/31/2007, 11:01 PM
I do a 10 gal water change every week and I dose with Mg at least once a week, usually twice. I will get a Mg test kit. Aerating has helped, but it is still low (8.15ish). thanks