PDA

View Full Version : Just started a 30 gallon?

biglouie
07/25/2007, 03:43 PM
i just started a 30 gallon tank and was wondering what i should add first. I bought 40 pounds of live rock and my girlfriends dad gave me my water straight from his tank. i have some green algae starting to cover the corline algae the is on the rock so i was thinking of adding the clean up crew first? But i cant decide whether to add a fish, coral, or snails and hermits? any input is appreciated

michaelaz
07/25/2007, 04:43 PM
Hold on and take you time, its not as easy as adding rocking and water and then livestock. Saltwater is another story all together.

First let the new aquarium cycle and check your water weekly, your girlfriends dad should have a test kit or my recommendation, take it to a local fish store that deals with saltwater. They will tell you when your water is cycled, usually 2-4 weeks.

I realize you used "live" water and rock but as the algae will testify, it still has to cycle regardless, the girlfriends dad doesn’t have algae in his tank right ?

After it’s settled in or close add a clean up crew, some red legged hermit crabs, some snails, etc again local fish store (LFS) can help plan a good clean up crew.

When water hits 0's per LFS add a few damsels at first, wait a while (a month or two) and then a coral or two like a mushroom, etc that may be a little more forgiving. repeat every 1-2 months, after 6 months you should some really nice coralline and water should be dialed in to handle most stuff, ask LFS if not sure.

This hobby takes patience, lord knows I need every bit I can get but in the end you will be rewarded with a beautiful tank.

Illuminati
07/25/2007, 05:05 PM
Great advice, except for the adding of damsels :)

Clowns are just as hardy and more peaceful.

biglouie
07/25/2007, 05:22 PM
thks alot, i test my water about every 2 or 3 days for pH, kH. ammon, trite, trate, and phosphate, and everything test good but phosphate is coming up 1.0 i just order some test kits and additive, i also got a magnetic glass cleaner for the algae on the glass...but the algae is a normal thing?