PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish - White Stringy Feces

Eric55
07/25/2007, 07:40 PM
My clownfish have whitish feces, and it looks like a string when it comes out of them. I thought this was normal as they are the only fish I own.

I read that white, stringy feces are a sign that there may be an intestinal parasite problem.

Bob Fenner recommended Metronidazole (Flagyl). I looked online, but could find no sources for fish (only for human use).

Does anyone know where I can purchase this?

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Sincerely, Eric

MarinaP
07/25/2007, 11:58 PM
Drs. Foster and Smith.

Krazy
07/26/2007, 03:05 PM
Is there any other way to treat a clownfish that has the whitish poop?

If they are still eating, and you supplement vitamins will they/can they fight it off ??

Genin
07/26/2007, 03:58 PM
I had an ocellaris that had white stringy feces but within a month of eating healthy and living in my tank it was normal dark nasty feces. Maybe see if they can fight it off naturally before medicating. Also if you have a reef tank make sure to always check whatever medication you use to make sure it is safe for a reef environment.

zoiescout
07/27/2007, 04:59 AM
I am currently treating two new true percs I got a week ago for the same thing - white stringy feces. They were also not eating very well. I am currently on day 3 of treatment with prazipro. It appears to be getting better as I did not see any white stringy feces at all yesterday and they are eating much better. I will continue to treat them for another 2 to 4 days to make sure it is completely gone.