PDA

View Full Version : any nanos use Ocean Runner Pumps?

rishma
07/25/2007, 09:17 PM
I want a powerful closed loop on my nano but heat generation is always a major concern. I find that nano keepers usually know which pumps run the coolest.

Anyone use an Ocean Runner 2500?

Suggestions for pump is the 500 gph range??

thanks!

flipteg
07/26/2007, 09:00 AM
i am using an Ocean Runner 2000 for my 30 gallon tank's skimmer and it does put out significant amount of heat... during lights on, a 6" fan turns on with the MH light... with the lights and fan on, the temperature is at around 78F... once the light turns off, the fan turns off too... the Ocean Runner pump heats the water up to 81-82F... so yes, my water is warmer with the lights off... the only other pump in the water is a Nano Stream 6025...

along with the light, the Ocean Runner pump does such a good job at heating the tank, i did away with the heater...

rishma
07/26/2007, 03:47 PM
that is not good news for me. i do not need any more heat.

anyone with a good recommendation for a 500 gph pump.

I was thinking of a hydor 35 but it is only 420 gph. not much of a step up from the ehiem 1250 currently in use.

flipteg
07/26/2007, 04:34 PM
keep in mind that i am using my Ocean Runner pump fully submerged in water... you might get less heat transfer if you're plumbing it for close loop...

i really like the pump because it is very quiet... it is also very realiable... the shaft and the impeller hole are both ceramic... it does not wear out...! one time, i over dosed calcium and alkalinity... calcium carbonate formed EVERYWHERE... the Ocean Runner pump seized... but after a bath in vinegar, it was running like new...