PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever get stung or bitten by unknown critter in your tank?

happyface888
07/26/2007, 12:07 AM
Well I have heard of people sticking their hands in the tank to rearrange the rocks and not knowing that some sort of unknown critter is waiting to bite or sting. I heard of someone getting stung by a unknown snail that caused numbness to their arm. So how about you?

sixspeed
07/26/2007, 01:20 AM
I have been biten or stung by something when i have moved my lr around in the past. Nothing serious just a little red mark smaller than a mosquito bite. But now i just use a pair of gloves whenever i need to fiddle with the rock work.

JR719
07/26/2007, 01:34 AM
Same as sixspeed, other than I once broke out in what looked like a rash. Itchy and burning for awhile. I learned to wear gloves......

Of course, grabbing a bristle worm unexpectedly will cause you some pain.

Hormigaquatica
07/26/2007, 03:40 AM
Countless thousands of bristleworm spines- some just annoying, some enough to turn red and ache for a day or two. A few times by something Ive not been able to ID. I should know the name, but never remember. Looks like a real pointy bright pink sponge. At any rate, those make my hand swell and really hurt for several days at a shot. Never been mauled by a shrimp of anything though.

Mr31415
07/26/2007, 04:19 AM
Yeah I got stung a couple of days ago. Was trying to fetch a piece of plastic from the back of my tank, so I was reaching in very far, with the inside of my arm brushing against the LR. 10 minutes later and it looked like 20 mosquito bites on my arm... Swollen and itching. Have no idea what it was. Two days later the swelling went away.

http://www.gamma.za.net/images/_J8T1203.jpg

Anemonebuff
07/26/2007, 07:39 AM
Stung by bristle worms, corals and anemones. Bitten numerous times by my tomato clown, she even made me bleed once.

Dave12678
07/26/2007, 08:07 AM
I got a new anemone last week, when I put him into the tank I forgot to turn off my power heads he started to blow away before he attached. I grad him placing my thumb on his mouth and my hand was numb and throbbing for a few days. I learned my lesson with those guys.

drummereef
07/26/2007, 09:31 AM
I got stung by a hitchhiker anemone once that litterally knocked me down. At first it felt like it was sticky just touching my hand. But, after a few minutes I had an unbelievable throbbing pain in my arm that lasted for days. I even called poison control. The pain was tremendous. I never put my arm in my tank without a glove now. ;)