PDA

View Full Version : Pulsing Xenias

firedogg2
07/26/2007, 09:32 PM
Hey guys,
Quick question for ya. I have a small frag of pulsing xenias. Scene I got them they don't seem to be pulsing very strong. They close fine but they don't open all the way. All my levels are great ph 8.2 temp 77.9, and no detectable nitrates or phosphates. I'm running two fluorescents atinitcs and a 150mh. The guy at the LFS said that it could be that my tank is in to good condition to make them pulse. He said that xenias prefer slightly bad conditions. Whats your take on this. Thanks alot in advance.

Casey

areze
07/26/2007, 09:34 PM
how long have you had them?

firedogg2
07/26/2007, 09:34 PM
About a week

areze
07/26/2007, 09:40 PM
oh, donno. Ive read many places its common for them to stop pulsing sometimes... maybe their still adjusting.

corals are strange :)

spleify
07/26/2007, 09:42 PM
I have heard that Xenias do like some nitrates. I don't know that for sure, but that is what I have heard. If I am wrong, hopefully some one will chime in and correct me.

firedogg2
07/26/2007, 09:55 PM
Well thats what he said so if thats the case I think I would rather have the good water quality that all my other corals like than try and please the xenias. I guess I'm just trying to see if there is any other way to make them pulse better.

ATM
07/26/2007, 10:13 PM
add some iodine that got mine going

Vitaly
07/26/2007, 10:16 PM
There is a lot of theory and speculation about why Xenia thrive in some tanks and melt away in others...or why the pulse feverishly in some tanks and sit calmly in others.

What I can say from my limited experience is that it will either do well or crash. I have given mounted frags of my Xenia (see below) to 3 of my friends, each with a tank at various times of establishment (<1 months, 3+ months, etc)...and they melted away in each case. Why...no idea. I do not dose Iodine or supplement. My approach has been stable water condition, undisturbed environment (I do not move it around the tank) and occasional target feeding.

Regarding the pulsing behavior, I have read theories ranging from the pulsing action being a method to facilitate oxygen/gas exchange or a method to promote filter feeding. Be wary of believing that pulsing equates to good health. If your Xenia is not pulsing, but is increasing in size and developing new stalks, then you should be proud.

My observation, in my tank and that of my peers, has been that the Xenia tend to pulse more when placed in a area of the tank where they receive lower, indirect flow. Thus, you could maybe experiment with placement. But again, the important things is that is is growing and maintaining its colors.

Hope that helps...
<center>
http://www-u.life.uiuc.edu/~stepensk/album/Marine-March-2007/44.jpg
</center>

xtm
07/26/2007, 10:26 PM
my experience with Xenia is that the higher your pH, the "faster" they pulse.. go figure. Your mileage may vary.

dareefking
07/26/2007, 10:44 PM
I for some reason have found that mine stop pulsing when my alkalinity drops as well as pH.

But like Vitaly said there are many theories to this.

firedogg2
07/27/2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks alot for all your responses. I have added iodine. I'm going to just give them time. I'm not going to change my pramaters just for a frag of xenias, there cool but not that cool. They look healthy just not pulsing very strong. Maby thats just how there going to be in my tank. At least they're alive right! Once again thank you.

Casey

firedogg2
07/27/2007, 12:00 PM
Its kinda funny. Just talking about them they have been doing better. Still not as strong as I would like, but I have added a video for you to see. Once again thanks for all the help

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/firedogg2/?action=view&current=5c7d9b3b.flv

Lt.Dan
07/27/2007, 12:10 PM
They will pulse more with less current and less with more current. It looks like you have a powerhead blowing on them so they won't pulse as much.

firedogg2
07/27/2007, 12:15 PM
Well its only a 20gl tank. I have two returns, one on eather side of the tank and I have them up high and in the middle of the tank. Thats about as low flow as its going to get. I'm running a mag 9.5 so its moving the water pretty good.