PDA

View Full Version : Best fuge macro algae

mnash
07/26/2007, 11:10 PM
Like the title says I'm looking for a good macro for my fuge. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

rppvt
07/26/2007, 11:13 PM
Chaeto. search that stuff. I use it. It's great. Nice home for bugs and snails.

Sk8r
07/26/2007, 11:15 PM
Cheatomorpha would be my advice: easy to keep with strong light, acts as a filter and bubble-reducer because of its tight ball; has no roots and will not take root in your display tank if a strand or two gets loose. It's readily a home for pods and other life, and stays put very well.

Absolutely would not recommend any form of caulerpa, taxifolia variety or grape. It's toxic to most fish, and the only fish that can eat it are too large for any tank under 75g to 100g. It roots faster than you can get it out, any piece of it will grow a whole plant, it's fragile and breaks off easily, and it occasionally 'goes sexual' under circumstances I've never quite pinned down---never seen this myself---and becomes a water quality problem. I've seen photos and it looks nasty.

Halimeda has also gotten complaints from those who have tried it, because it's a 'stony' kind of weed and, again, nothing eats it.

mnash
07/26/2007, 11:19 PM
Is there anything I should be looking for specifically when I buy Cheato at my LFS? How do I know if it is healthy?