PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Marineland HoldFast please...

64Texan
07/27/2007, 01:24 PM
Will this be okay to use on rocks that are already in the tank and in water?

Is it as simple as breaking off a piece, kneading it until it turns white, and applying to a rock and then place another rock to it?

I am looking for some advice on this product or some pro's and con's. Thank you folks in advance! :)

Here's the product.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i181/kshaw7016/HoldFast.jpg

chem-e
07/27/2007, 01:57 PM
I haven't used the Marineland stuff, but I have used the stuff from Home Depot and it works just fine. The HD stuff probably costs half the price as well.

Were you planning to use this stuff to hold rocks together? If so, I don't think that it's going to work too well. I use it with Super Glue to hold frags in place.

64Texan
07/27/2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I'm looking for it to hold them together. More or or less as a little insurance against tumbling later on when critters are added.

Carlos
07/27/2007, 02:34 PM
Go to the hardware store and get "plumber's putty sticks" They are the same thing... the only difference is they are labeled differently.

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u599084

Carlos

64Texan
07/27/2007, 04:32 PM
Thank you Carlos, but I already have it and I am wondering if it will bond under water after kneading it.

Since I have not opened it I can take it back for something else but I am looking for something that can be applied to rock underneath water that will bind/bond them together.

I'm hoping to minimize the risk of toppling, but also hoping to be more creative!

chem-e
07/27/2007, 05:12 PM
If you're trying to use it to bond rocks, I don't know how successful you'll be. It might be possible if you're creative.

I have seen people drill thru their rocks and inserting rods thru the hole to hold the rocks in place. I think this might be a better alternative than the putty. (This is something that I plan to do as well.)

However, give the putty a try. If you don't use it for the rocks, you can use it for the frags. :D

Reefmack
07/27/2007, 05:24 PM
I haven't had much success with the putty actually bonding the rocks underwater. I've had limited success by drying the bottom of a rock that I want to place on top, putting a blob of superglue gel on a spot or two, then sticking on a pre-mixed hunk of putty, then making a depression in the putty to put another blob of SG gel, and quick into the tank where you want it and pressing it down. If you can remove both rocks and first drying off the spots on the 2 rocks that will touch each other, and doing the above you have a better chance. I've found the most use for the putty is in helping to support a rock above it - like making a support or brace for the top rock. But you can usually easily lift off the top rock. The putty seems to stick to fingers better than wet rock.