PDA

View Full Version : Could an nem carry ich?

hansonfam
07/27/2007, 10:06 PM
I want to move one of my lta's to my 90 but i had a fish in there that had ich. So i took the fish out put it in quarintine a 2nd time and left the tank fishless for 2 months. Put the clown back in and low and behold there is ich again on the clown after he had been fine in quarintine for 6 weeks. So obviously something weird is going on here.
I will retreat the clown but I want that nem out of that tank but am worried about putting it in the 90 with my healthy fish.

Opinions?

Thanks
Lisa

kkyyllee
07/27/2007, 11:42 PM
healthy fish wont get ich, and i dont think that a nem can carry ich either

hansonfam
07/28/2007, 12:21 AM
We'll guess that theory doesn't work:) Thats what i thought to...lol
But apparently after my tank sitting fishless for 2 months and a clown that was treated in a quarintine tank and ich free for 6 weeks. It is back and he is the only fish in the tank. And after some searches on here i guess it can be carried around with corals. So i think i am not going to take the nem out. I will run fishless agin for maybe 3 months this time...

kkyyllee
07/28/2007, 12:27 AM
i read somthing that the ich will go dormant untill you add a fish and it triggers the parisite again i might be wrong, anyone else hear that?

marc price
07/28/2007, 01:12 AM
lisa, in years past i've had a similar thing happen after a 8 week absence of fish in a FOLR set up. since that time i let it wait 12 weeks. dormant ick aren't likely to survive that long. i quarantine new fish and bought fish which were infested and doomed at the lfs, haven't had a ich outbreak in years. if your lta is left in the fishless system for the full 12 week period you shouldn't have a problem, i didn't when i had to do it with my anemone.

rkelman
07/28/2007, 05:55 AM
I don't think its the anemone. I would guess the fish had the parasite to begin with and moving it to the other tank stressed it out causing an outbreak.