PDA

View Full Version : Phosban Users Please Help

fio1022
07/28/2007, 10:33 AM
I don't know if this is the right forum but I always get great knowledgable advice hear.
OK,This is the first time I'm using Phosban in a Phosban reactor.
It comes with a nice mesh media bag but no matter how I try it ,will not fit in chamber.I almost got it to fit but its pushing center tube off center.It would work if the bag had a hole in the middle like a dounut.That way flow would be uniform around it with no bypass.
Help.I want to start running this asap.
Thanks

Der_Iron_Chef
07/28/2007, 10:40 AM
Ditch the mesh bag and just put the phosban media directly into the reactor! When you plug it in, be sure to run the output into a another container (ie. not your tank) for a minute, so that any sediment released by the media doesn't enter your tank.

E.Smith
07/28/2007, 11:06 AM
The instructions clearly go through all of the details you are inquirying about right now. It says not to include the mesh bag in the chamber of the reactor. Also as mentioned above make sure you emty the first 1/2 gallon or so into a bucket to remove the Phosban media dust. Make sure you only have about 80-90gal/hr flowing through your reactor otherwise the Phosban media will disinigrate at too high a flow rate and enter your tank.

fio1022
07/28/2007, 11:23 AM
I just re read the instructions on container and no where does it say anything about NOT including mesh bag in chamber.Maybe a different label than yours?
I have a flow meter and a gate valve so gueswork about gal/hr.

areze
07/28/2007, 12:22 PM
the mesh bag is to be used if you do not have a reactor, IE you just hang the bag in your tank.

lvpd186
07/28/2007, 12:26 PM
The media bag is used primarily for in the sump, you really don't need it in a reactor. The bag would probably make your reactor less efficient. I think the above post was refering to the reactor's directions.

Der_Iron_Chef
07/28/2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah, using a mesh bag in a reactor completely negates the whole idea of using a reactor!

As far as gph, the media should look like it's "boiling"...not flying like crazy around the reactor chamber.

jc1of2
07/28/2007, 03:17 PM
I think the mesh bag would bundle the phosban too much and cause the water to flow around it. Just pour it into the reactor.

funman1
07/28/2007, 03:53 PM
Here is a video of what it should look like when running.
This was running on my nano about a year ago...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbw2K6BZ7-0

Percula9
07/28/2007, 09:22 PM
Definitely no mesh bag required. Phosban in reactor has to form a fluidized bed, to get maximum contact wth the water. Bag should only be used in a canister set up or sump.

E.Smith
07/28/2007, 10:14 PM
I just re read the instructions on container and no where does it say anything about NOT including mesh bag in chamber.Maybe a different label than yours?
I have a flow meter and a gate valve so gueswork about gal/hr.

If you have the Phosban reactor by Two Little Fishies then there should have been a separate set of instructions that were included with the box the reactor came in. You might want to try and contact the vendor you purchased the unit from and ask for an extra set of instructions. Try contacting the manufacturer for a pdf file of instructions if needed. www.twolittlefishies.com
Hope this helps!

Der_Iron_Chef
07/29/2007, 12:38 AM
Or...just listen to what the rest of us are saying. Seems like we've all been running these, so might know what we're doing ;)

pgordemer
07/29/2007, 07:13 AM
Slightly off topic, Ii use my phosban in a very slow Cannister filter (Fluval 205), I keep it in the bag and put in the top layer and it works perfectly to keep it from packing. Then when I clean it for carbon, I just knead the bag to keep it soft.

I found I got better results than the reactor and I could use less.

sinister52
07/29/2007, 07:39 AM
the bag fits in the chamber well for that i have the fluval 404 i was going to use it in there. but i also have a 205. do u just lay the bags in it or did u modify the chamber in anyway

pgordemer
07/29/2007, 08:26 PM
In a 205, just lay it in and press it down.

Der_Iron_Chef
07/29/2007, 10:40 PM
I used to do the same, but I found that water made "channels" through the phosban media...so it wasn't really as effective as the reactor. But then, that was just my own experience!

supereri
07/30/2007, 09:44 PM
I used it in my tank in the media bag. I rinsed it out under the faucet for a few moments. It's amazing how how that stuff got at first.