PDA

View Full Version : Will an aquarium outside as reservoir handle temps?

upsetter
07/28/2007, 01:20 PM
Getting a bigger tank, & would like to move my top-off reservoir outside. Will a regular aquarium handle temps in the upper 20s-30s with a regular heater in it--- was considering using a 29gall tank on a small stand against the house. Paint the outside black, put a grill cover on it-- to keep sunlight/algae out. And have local glass comp make a top with few holes in it for ro & topoff tubes and a siphon tube for water changes. Anyone use a set-up similar or have any ideas for an outdoor "ro safe" reservoir?

upsetter
07/29/2007, 06:05 AM
anyone?

Henry Bowman
07/29/2007, 06:49 AM
I'd be afraid of contaminants like bug-spray or something else getting into the tank?

With temps that low or high you could have problems keeping the temp within a reasonable range. In addition, the lines could freeze even if the tank is kept at a reasonable temp.

My .02 for what it's worth.

tang fever
07/29/2007, 07:02 AM
With even minimal flow the tubes are unlikely to freeze as long as the temp is being maintained at a normal marine 77-81 deg range.

I do agree with Mr. Bowman on the contaminants. I know they say that air inside your house is dirtier than outside, but I'm just not ok with the idea.

I just bought new bulbs so I can't even come off of .02

upsetter
07/29/2007, 07:36 AM
The contaminant concern is definitely a concern for me as well. Maybe I'll look at the US Plastics site and see if there's an airtight ro safe container and just spend another $.02. Just don't really have anymore space in the tank room to make/hide a reservoir.

tang fever
07/29/2007, 08:29 PM
Watch ou for plastic leaching phosphates into water. I've heard there's a manufacturer with 'safe' plastic. Not sure of their name........anyone???????

upsetter
07/29/2007, 09:00 PM
I think the polyethelyne containers are suppossed to be the best as far as plastics go-- not positive though. Just started my research today. There was some discussion regarding the Brute garbage cans & whether or not they were leaching phosphates on another thread with no final resolution. That's why I started looking into how I might be able to use an old aquarium as a reservoir--- but now I'm researching the plastic angle again.

Henry Bowman
07/29/2007, 09:41 PM
A NSF container or Food Grade container (plastic) should be fine. I work in the foodservice industry and brute makes many foodgrade products that we store everything from salad dressing to flour in. Not saying that the govt knows everything but Brute containers that we store 50 gallons of ranch dressing in should be OK for our tanks.

I have been using a brute can for a long time to store fresh and salt water in with no issues. I have tested for phosphates in my salt mix container (brute) and the levels were undetectable.

HTH

upsetter
07/30/2007, 10:33 AM
Sounds good -- thanks Henry!

8BALL_99
07/30/2007, 10:45 AM
I have a 55 gallon poly Drum in my Attic for my topoff. Its a sealed container with a single 1/4 air hole.. The air hole has a Carbon/mesh filter on it to keep any dust and what not out..BTW you need to make sure its over a load bearing wall ;). The water does get hot in the summer and cold in the winter. but its just topoff so no big deal. My topoff runs through Kalk reactors so I have it set to just a trickle anyway.
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL514/944495/5364694/194394456.jpg

upsetter
07/30/2007, 11:15 AM
8Ball-- AMAZING job with your tanks/set-ups btw, looked at your site. Where did you get your drum & how much was it if you don't mind? Went to a feed store in town where they had a 55 sealed drum, that had 2 caps on top u could unscrew. It was blue, had a #2 recyling on the bottom and had prob 3" of vinegar still in the bottom. They had another same way labeled "oil" & you could smell & see some kind of cooking oil at the bottom. I was a little scared of these though-- price was right $21 -- but no thanks. I could prob use 25 or 30 gall I guess. Not really sure-- might just wait until I get my new tank & see how much evap I have. Would be cool to only have to make water every 2 or 3 weeks instead of once a week.

8BALL_99
07/30/2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks, Mine came from a Feed store, The one in the picture was used for DR.Pepper. I also have a 15 gallon one that was used for Mellow Yellow lol..Or was it the other way around..;) They are food grade so if cleaned well they should be fine.. But yeah I wouldnt' use one that had cooking Oil in it. Just check around at a few feed stores and see if you can find some used by a coke company. Mine was 18 bucks I think. I just filled it up with freshwater and added about 3 cups bleach.. Let it sit for 30 mins then rinsed it a few good times. I also set up 3 of these at a LFS for them since they sell RO/DI and Saltwater. All of them have float switches mounted in them so when they get low you just turn on a ballvalve to fill them up to the float with RO.