PDA

View Full Version : Marineland C360 Canister Filter

stevenw56
07/28/2007, 06:29 PM
I have 2 of these on my 75 FOWLR. I'm having a problem with both constantly blowing out bursts of micro bubbles every minute or so. I can shake the canister back and forth a few times and the build up of bubbles comes out the return. But after awhile it starts again. I've made sure all connections are tight and all O-rings are good.

Is it possible that my oxygen saturation is so high that it builds up in the canister? Or maybe it's do to the biological process within the canister? I can't understand it unless it's a design flaw since it's a new product from Marineland.

I can't find a number for marineland either. If someone has a number for them I'd like to have it or any other suggestions. Anyone else have one of these canisters?

aninjaatemyshoe
07/28/2007, 06:37 PM
First you might want to determine if you have any leaks anywhere (on the canister or in the tubing). The way I typically do this is to wipe everything dry and wrap it with paper towels. Let it run for awhile, check for wet spots, and if you find one that is where your leak is. If not, it is possible that something is generating the gas inside. However, I highly doubt that the gas generated would occur at such a high rate as a burst of air bubbles a minute. It is strange that you have both causing this issue. How long have they been running? It might just take a long time for them to completely remove any trapped air.

stevenw56
07/28/2007, 06:53 PM
thx for the reply aninjaatemyshoe. They've been running since the end of may. Each canister has 3 bags chemi-pure, 2 4x8 poly-filter, bio balls, ceramic rings and foam inserts.

I checked all connections with paper towels and everything is dry on both. They both act the same way. I don't think it's just trapped air that hasn't worked it's way out.

aninjaatemyshoe
07/28/2007, 07:04 PM
Are there any small bubbles that are going into their intakes?

It could be that the bacteria inside the filters are quickly producing the gas that you are seeing. Why are you worried about this if you know that it is not leaking?

db_triggerfish
07/28/2007, 07:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10434755#post10434755 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stevenw56
I checked all connections with paper towels and everything is dry on both. They both act the same way. I don't think it's just trapped air that hasn't worked it's way out.

wow,i was thinking about buying a C220 just before turning on my computer, now not sure if i want one. I may look at Eheim Pro 3e it has a function to remove air trapped. Also not sure if this will help or make it worse.

Auto Air Out Function - Detects and automatically bleeds off air trapped under the Filter Head, on the Eheim. I would love to hear more people with MarineLand since it about 1/2 the price and looks like a good product.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=16109&N=2004+22777

Kentanner11
07/28/2007, 09:21 PM
I am not familiar with your canister but on my old Rena Filstar I used to open it a tad, just a very small amount after it had run a while just to bleed out the extra air. HTH!

Kentanner11
07/28/2007, 10:15 PM
I am not familiar with your canister but on my old Rena Filstar I used to open it a tad, just a very small amount after it had run a while just to bleed out the extra air. HTH!

j tavares
07/29/2007, 06:27 AM
which is whyI always go with Eheim I have several 2217 in use for several to ten years never a problem and oh so QUIET. just my opinion never found any other canister to compare.

tang fever
07/29/2007, 06:55 AM
If you're getting air then it's highly unlikely that you'll find water on any of your connections.

Have you made or spliced any extra connections on the suction side? Cracked hoses? Were there any special instructions with sealing the filter?

You would have to be having a massive chemical reaction for bubbles to be created in major quantities. Most likely, one of your fittings or seals on the suction side of the filter coming from your tank is leaking in air.

tang fever
07/29/2007, 06:58 AM
There's a chance that you could shut your filter down and see a small amount of water coming from the leak on the suction side, but probably wont' be enough head pressure to make it happen.

ArgonDreams
07/29/2007, 08:36 AM
I have had this exact problem on both an Eheim and a Marineland canister.

It's coming from the O ring seal near the top of the system. Take it off check for any nicks, replace it on the system and use a silicone lubricant.

What's happening is there is a gap in the o ring allowing for a slow leak of air into the canister, the bubbles build up until it's pulled into the impeller and expelled as micro bubbles. It was maddening until I found it. Hope that helps.

stevenw56
07/29/2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll replace the large o-ring on both canister tops and see if that helps.