PDA

View Full Version : Tank ?'s

fisher1234
07/28/2007, 10:13 PM
Hello everyone. So this last monday i finally started my 72 bow front tank. I hav about 65 lbs of argonite Caribsea sand. And 64 lbs of live rock about half is fiji and half is tonga branch/lace. The tank is runnin fine. I plan on gettin about 30 more pounds of fiji.My ?'s r.

1. Wat do u think of tonga branch?
2. I havent seen anything alive come out my rocks?? But the fiji has tons of coraline growth on it. Shouldnt there be critters on the rock???
3. Should i probabally get a cup of live sand from an established tank cuz i think the caribsea isnt live.
4. Should i probly get a peice of live rock thts not in a big tank sittin with the other rock to make sure tht its rele live so i can seed tht other rock??

Im gon to try and posts picks in the next day or so im just confused on how to. Thanx for the help.

Percula9
07/28/2007, 10:20 PM
Did you use live sand? Sounds like you have a good begining. Have you put any fish in the tank to start the cycling process?

avp
07/28/2007, 10:26 PM
my answers....

1. tonga branch is ok. The only knocks I can think of, is that it lacks the nooks and crannies stuff likes to hide in and it's pretty dense.

2. Critters come in different types. Amphipods are most likely there, just not noticeable. Encrusting stuff will need to time to grow. Expect more stuff to grow off the fiji over the branch. Remember patience= better live rock development.

3. yes. adding live out of another reef is almost always a benefit.

4. don't put in too much rock. Most of the corals,etc. come attached to rocks. Leave room for them.

-avp

Victor1046
07/28/2007, 10:33 PM
Please don't put live fish in the tank to cycle it. It's cruel and the amonia spike will kill them.
We are creating a live habitate for life not death!
Use some flake fish food to cycle not live fish
Just my 10 cents!
Good luck

fisher1234
07/28/2007, 10:41 PM
Some people hav said the tank will cycle with just the rock. if nott im goin to add a deli shrimp. And i think im goin to get some sand from a frineds tank. Does it matter how much???

Jim_Leyland
07/28/2007, 10:52 PM
just get a cup, depending on how covered your LR is will determin how much of a cycle you go through, if its really good rock that came out of a established tank and right into yours you might not even notice a cycle happen