PDA

View Full Version : can the transmitter be split for phase A and phase B

Chicago
07/29/2007, 07:54 AM
electrical systems in homes run on Phase A and Phase B. on the AC3 the unit transmitts the on off signals through what looks like a phone cord or cad5 into the transmitter unit which is pluged into the wall. the outlet it is pluged into will send siganls Through phase A or phase B on the home electrical lines but not both.

what if the phone cord or cad5 whatever it might be was split and we used two transmitters. one plugged into A and one plugged into B. that way the signal is sent on both.

i know that there is repeater out there that you can get also, but was thinking about it this way .

in other words will the signal be strong enough to be split?

bill-e
07/29/2007, 10:40 AM
First as a point of clarification, one would use a signal bridge not a repeater to allow X10 signals to be passed between phases.

As for splitting the X10 commands. I'm pretty sure that the control cable is passing a digital word which is decoded by the interface module and converted into X10 signals. If that is indeed the case then as long as the wire wasn't so long as to load down the line, it should work. IMO it would mean one more point of failure and I'd prefer to spend the thirty bucks on a passive signal bridge.

Chicago
07/29/2007, 01:20 PM
i have a signal bridge .. just need to look at it a little more carefully.. the isnstrucitns say to attache one line to one 15 amp on phase a and the other to a 15 amp breaker on phase b. then attach the neuatral ...

it is made by leavtion. is the one made be neptune diferent?.. easy install?

bill-e
07/29/2007, 01:55 PM
Neptune doesn't make the X10 stuff, they just sell it. Curt probably sells the Leviton which is a better quality than X10 brand.

You probably have the kind that get's wired in at the breaker box. There is an easier one to install,

http://www.smarthome.com/4816a2.html

Just unplug you're electric drier or any 220v appliance, plug in the bridge, and then plug the appliance back in. Only 24 bucks.

I didn't realize that they do sell bridge/repeater combo units. Not cheap at $79 but probably worth it if you have weak signal problems.

http://www.smarthome.com/4826b.html

If you have 220 in your workshop you can plug it in there as well.

BTW, I use X10 for both 110v and 220v applications and I don't need a bridge....you may not either.

Chicago
07/29/2007, 08:14 PM
i had no prblems a couple of weeks ago.. not bridge needed.. then copule of weeks ago after a power outage and flood in basement i upgrade the house to a gaurdian backup generator that runs on natural gas. so good news is no issues with pumps on power outage but now some of the lights which i now think are on a different phas wont opreate correctly.. so i will be installing the leviton unit.. firge and repetor.