PDA

View Full Version : Stressed out Yellow Tang

brucesly
07/29/2007, 05:31 PM
I got a yellow tang on friday along with a powder blue tang. I took my time acclimating both fish and put them both in QT. Both seemed fine until today Sunday. The Yellow tang today is at the bottom of tang breathing real hard and lost some of its color. What can I do to try to revive it? Any meds or miracle drugs? Or should I start digging that hole in the yard? All water parameters looked fine except salinity. Some water evaporated I assumed to raise the sal levels, so I added some water. Thanks in advanced for any help! :confused:

kau_cinta_ku
07/29/2007, 06:13 PM
they still in QT? if so what are you feeding? are their any signs of ich?

Grins
07/29/2007, 06:18 PM
Although you said your water looked good I'd still do a water change personally.

Percula9
07/29/2007, 06:24 PM
How big is the QT? Probably stress from the blue tang. Look for ich. It's best to buy one fish at a time. Let it acclimate to your tank for a month before buying another fish. Plus it gives your bio-filter time to adjust to the higher load.

brucesly
07/29/2007, 06:25 PM
I tried feeding them seaweed and they didnt seem to like it, so I gave them flake food which they seem to like. No signs of ich on both of them. Both look healthy. until today where the YT started to look like it was struggling to breath and sort of turning brown.

kau_cinta_ku
07/29/2007, 06:28 PM
I would also suggest a water change. could be that not enough air exchange and low O2. what size QT? how big of tangs?

brucesly
07/29/2007, 06:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10440615#post10440615 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Percula9
How big is the QT? Probably stress from the blue tang. Look for ich. It's best to buy one fish at a time. Let it acclimate to your tank for a month before buying another fish. Plus it gives your bio-filter time to adjust to the higher load.

10g tank... probably too small?

I'll probably follow your advice on buying one at a time. Only reason I bought both because I've read on forums and in books that I should buy tangs at the same time so they won't be aggressive toward each other. But what do I know? DOH!

Thanks to everyone that has posted. Great help!

kau_cinta_ku
07/29/2007, 06:35 PM
well 2 tangs in a 72 gal. is to much IMO. the yellow will work but the PB tang will get to large.

you really only need to buy tangs in odd numbers is when they are the same kind. as in 2-3 yellow tangs. otherwise they are fine to buy seperate.

a 10 gal. could be fine depending on the size of them. 1-2"?

Grins
07/29/2007, 06:38 PM
Unless they are tiny I'd move them into something bigger...even a Rubbermaid container. And water change pronto.

brucesly
07/29/2007, 06:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10440637#post10440637 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
I would also suggest a water change. could be that not enough air exchange and low O2. what size QT? how big of tangs?

Waterchange noted.

Air exchange: I have a Maxijet 900 with sponge filter and I have the venturi thingy on with moderate bubbles shooting in tank.

Tank size: 10g

Tang size: Yellow tang about 4"
Powder Blue Tang about 2.5"

Grins
07/29/2007, 06:43 PM
I'd defintely get them a bigger container.

kau_cinta_ku
07/29/2007, 06:53 PM
yeah a bigger tank or plastic tote will be good for them. also some PVC sections for them to hide will help. also be ready to do an ich treatment as PB are most prone to getting it.