PDA

View Full Version : Chevron Tang...ich magnet?

Canarygirl
07/30/2007, 08:14 PM
Hi

My LFS has a juvenile Chevron tang and they told me it would not be prone to ich. However my Marine Fishes book says "like other tangs, is prone to ich." It doesn't give that description for any of the other tangs (like powder blue or hippo).

Now I'm worried because I specifically told my LFS that I did not want an "ich magnet" in my tank.

Opinions or advice?

Juggler
07/30/2007, 08:20 PM
what size is it?

is the tank the 130?

as long as the tank is well established, and you dont have something to bully and stress him, there would be no reason for ich. in my exp, you either get ich the first week or never see it again. did you QT?

CarlC
07/30/2007, 08:21 PM
Put it in QT and watch it for a month. If ich shows up treat according. If no ich after the month you should still have a ich free tank unless you didn't QT the other fish when you bought them.

Carl

JM68
07/30/2007, 08:32 PM
Nope not at all. The bristletoothed tangs are some of the toughest. Chevron, Kole, Convict are all pretty tough and some of the smaller tangs out there. I have a juvi that i bought a few months ago when he was about the size of a quarter.(i got him for half price because he was so small and the other fish in the tank at the store were beating him up, they didnt expect him to make it after being abused so much at such a small size, but he pulled through and is doing great) He's grown a lot already and has never had ick. He is in my 120g with a male flame wrasse, copperband butterfly and juvi sargassum trigger. Until a few weeks ago there was a female crosshatch trigger in the tank that was about 5" and fairly aggressive and the tang could have cared less. It goes about its business grazing on the diatoms on the LR and glass. It is actually pretty social with the other fish often swimming along side the wrasse for several laps around the tank. I would strongly recommend this fish to anybody wanting a tang and is willing to pay fairly high price.

Powder Blues and Browns, Sohals and Clowns and others like these are a different story, stay away from them.

Canarygirl
07/30/2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

The Chevron is still at the LFS. I bought it but haven't brought it home yet. They have had it for about 10 days. The tang is ~2.5, maybe 3 inches long.

My tank is the 120, it is 60" long and 20" wide, lots of LR. As far as bullies in the tank, I have a 5" sailfin tang that does enjoy chasing her buddy the 5" foxface, but the foxface just shows his spines and it's all over. I also have a young adult clarkii clown that's pretty territorial and chases other fish (but doesn't bite).

If I get this chevron, will it be okay to keep it in a 10 gallon QT for the 6 weeks or do I need a bigger tank? I have a 20 gallon long I could set up for it instead.

CarlC
07/30/2007, 09:11 PM
The 20 long would provide more swimming room so I'd go with the 20.

Carl

jnc914
07/30/2007, 10:23 PM
I lost my Chevron during a tank upgrade, the stress did him in, and ich attacked an already weakened tang. Canarygirl, i hate to be a downer, but your Sailfin will be relentless. You may need to change live rock and break up established territories. I wish you nothing but luck. I had to give away my 5" Sailfin due to his aggression.

Canarygirl
07/30/2007, 10:31 PM
hmmm....I don't want that to happen. Is my 120 too small for a sailfin plus another tang, then? Or are sailfins known to be agressive? I thought they were peaceful tangs but I could be confused.

I may not want to take this risk.

jnc914
07/30/2007, 10:37 PM
In a 120, your sailfin will be aggressive to another tang. I don;t know of too many tang species i would label as peaceful. tangs ideally do well if added at the same time. Chevrons are pretty docile and won't put up much of a fight. Can you switch up your live rock?

tmz
07/30/2007, 10:47 PM
Give it some structure to hide/sleep in in your qt tank. I would use the 20 or larger.

Peter Eichler
07/30/2007, 10:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10448545#post10448545 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JM68
Nope not at all. The bristletoothed tangs are some of the toughest. Chevron, Kole, Convict are all pretty tough and some of the smaller tangs out there. I have a juvi that i bought a few months ago when he was about the size of a quarter.(i got him for half price because he was so small and the other fish in the tank at the store were beating him up, they didnt expect him to make it after being abused so much at such a small size, but he pulled through and is doing great) He's grown a lot already and has never had ick. He is in my 120g with a male flame wrasse, copperband butterfly and juvi sargassum trigger. Until a few weeks ago there was a female crosshatch trigger in the tank that was about 5" and fairly aggressive and the tang could have cared less. It goes about its business grazing on the diatoms on the LR and glass. It is actually pretty social with the other fish often swimming along side the wrasse for several laps around the tank. I would strongly recommend this fish to anybody wanting a tang and is willing to pay fairly high price.

Powder Blues and Browns, Sohals and Clowns and others like these are a different story, stay away from them.

Overall Ctenochaetus are quite hardy, but the Chevron is an exception IMO. I've seen many dead in wholesaler tanks and have seen plenty not fare well at the LFS and home aquaria. Also, despite the Bristletooths being hardy they're still quite prone to parasites. In fact, after P. hepatus the Kole would probably rank second on the fish I've seen most commonly afflicted with ich. I'm happy your fish is doing well, but your story isn't the norm. I'm not saying these are impossible to keep by any means, but I feel they're about on par with a Powder Blue in terms of hardiness. Lastly, while the Sohal is quite mean, I would not group it in with those other tangs. Sohals are one of the hardiest tangs IMO.

Canarygirl, it's hard to say how your Sailfin will react to the Chevron, it could be war or it could be a little aggression for a couple days and then they'll live peacefully. If they're not close in size you will have better luck IME. Another thing to consider is that these fish consume large amounts of detritus (more than algal matter according to gut analysis), so if you're very particular about keeping detritus out of your tank you may want to reconsider. The detritus isn't a deal breaker, but combined with the problems that may arise with your Sailfin it may be best to look at ome other fish.

mattyice
07/31/2007, 07:16 AM
IME sohals are tougher then nails, i am having a slight ich breakout in my tank that i am treating and the sohal has no ich, its quite active, and actually is still a baby at only 2" long, my last sohal was the same way but i had to get rid of him as he got too aggressive and i was too new to the hobby to understand that i cant add anything after a 4-5" sohal went in the tank

chevron's can be very good additions to your tank, but with a large sailfin already in the tank its hard to say what will happen, i would have to say i would much rather not take a chance with a smaller more expensive fish as there can be a good chance that the sailfin would tear it apart, but IME i have a vlamingii tang thats about 3.5" now and i just added a 2-3" sohal and they fought for 10 minutes and now they are the best of buds, so you never know what could happen

Canarygirl
07/31/2007, 12:27 PM
Another thing to consider is that these fish consume large amounts of detritus (more than algal matter according to gut analysis), so if you're very particular about keeping detritus out of your tank you may want to reconsider.

Tangs consume large amounts of detritus? I thought you were going to say they produce large amounts of detritus. This is news to me.

In fact, I am planning to try the Zeovit method in the near future so algae will be reduced except for what I add to the tank. I don't know what the effect will be on detritus per say but logic tells me that will be reduced as well. My sailfin does get a bit cranky and picks on the foxface more readily when it is hungry, so maybe it's not such a good idea to add another tang.

As for moving my rocks around, my tank is only 20" wide and as it is, every time I do simple maintenance I am knocking corals loose and having to reglue them. It drives me insane! Last weekend's water change....4 corals needing to be reglued. :mad2: So until such time as I upgrade my tank, I don't have a lot of options with my rockwork. Sump is too crowded to add any rock to it, also.

Peter Eichler
07/31/2007, 12:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10452540#post10452540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Canarygirl
Tangs consume large amounts of detritus? I thought you were going to say they produce large amounts of detritus. This is news to me.

In fact, I am planning to try the Zeovit method in the near future so algae will be reduced except for what I add to the tank. I don't know what the effect will be on detritus per say but logic tells me that will be reduced as well. My sailfin does get a bit cranky and picks on the foxface more readily when it is hungry, so maybe it's not such a good idea to add another tang.

As for moving my rocks around, my tank is only 20" wide and as it is, every time I do simple maintenance I am knocking corals loose and having to reglue them. It drives me insane! Last weekend's water change....4 corals needing to be reglued. :mad2: So until such time as I upgrade my tank, I don't have a lot of options with my rockwork. Sump is too crowded to add any rock to it, also.

Tangs of the genus Ctenochaetus consume large amounts of detritus, not tangs as a whole.

mike89t
07/31/2007, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10448878#post10448878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CarlC
The 20 long would provide more swimming room so I'd go with the 20.

Carl

That's what I used for my Cheveron. He did fine in there for the entier QT process. Just make sure to do frequent water changes. Here is a photo of him in the QT a few days after I got him:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/523/73065Cheveron.jpg

JM68
07/31/2007, 04:50 PM
Here's a couple pics of my little guy shortly after he got healthy and all his fins grew grew back, you can still see a small piece missing from the top of his tail. It took about 3 weeks for everything to grow back.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/flurdog/Chevron_2.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/flurdog/Chevron.jpg

edwing206
07/31/2007, 04:57 PM
Hey Jan!

Canarygirl
07/31/2007, 05:11 PM
Hey, Louis! :D ;)

Bret61081
07/31/2007, 06:32 PM
When I first got my Chevron, it kept getting ich and was hardly putting on weight. After I treated for flukes, it has never had ich again...and this was almost a year ago! Great fish, mine is very passive.

Juggler
07/31/2007, 07:38 PM
yeah im so sorry, but that sailfin is going to give you
H E double hockey sticks
lol

its going to just destroy that tang.
i have a yellow eye in my 180 and already rules the tank.
but you know chevrons arent that pretty when they grow up. someone brought a big one to my LFS and i was like, ok. lol

Peter Eichler
07/31/2007, 07:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10455476#post10455476 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Juggler
yeah im so sorry, but that sailfin is going to give you
H E double hockey sticks
lol

its going to just destroy that tang.
i have a yellow eye in my 180 and already rules the tank.
but you know chevrons arent that pretty when they grow up. someone brought a big one to my LFS and i was like, ok. lol

I don't think that the case but if you want to err on the side of caution it's best to skip the Chevron. I think they're different enough in shape, and hopefully size that there's a decent chance they would get along. Also, I diagree about the adults, I think they're gorgeous, they're just not garish like many other marine fish.

JM68
07/31/2007, 08:33 PM
I also think the adults are awsome looking. Under good actinic lighting the stripes r actually an iridescent green which has a nice contrast to the dark body color.

Canarygirl
07/31/2007, 09:14 PM
I like the look of the adults, too. But I have decided to err on the side of caution and pass on this fish. I don't have a very high tolerance for aquarium stress.

Thanks everybody for your opinions; it helped me figure out what to do. If/when I upgrade to a wider tank, that would be the perfect opportunity to add 1-2 new tangs. :)

reefer4eva
08/01/2007, 12:39 PM
very true

chromafi
08/01/2007, 01:34 PM
FYI - you should not quarantine tangs in a tank smaller than 100 gallons. Putting a chevron in a 20g for a month is practically a death sentence.
Do a freshwater dip for 1-2min when you bring a fish home to kill any cysts. Everyone thinks you should quarantine fish, but very few people are setup to do it properly.

If you keep your fish healthy, you dont need to worry about ich.

Canarygirl
08/01/2007, 02:15 PM
gee, I don't know of any hobbyists that has a 100 gallon quarantine system laying around in case they need to use it...

JM68
08/01/2007, 03:26 PM
A 1-2 min FW dip is useless. They need to be in a minimum of 7 or u are totally wasting your time, 9-10 is even better, but a full length FW dip is way to stressful to do on a fish that has just been taken out of a tank and put in a bag for a half hour. And even a full 9-10min FW dip may not kill all cysts. A 20g QT tank for a Chevron the size of a quarter and up to about 2" is plenty of room. Chevrons are one of the tangs that need the least amount of open swimming room as they graze most of the day, not swim laps.

mike89t
08/01/2007, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10460532#post10460532 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chromafi
FYI - you should not quarantine tangs in a tank smaller than 100 gallons. Putting a chevron in a 20g for a month is practically a death sentence.
Do a freshwater dip for 1-2min when you bring a fish home to kill any cysts. Everyone thinks you should quarantine fish, but very few people are setup to do it properly.

I disagree. I've QT'd all of my Tangs in a 20G with no problems. By the time they leave my QT they have regained all of their body mass and look very healthy. I've QT'd a 4" Naso, 3" Cheveron and a 4" Hippo in my 20G.

I agree that you must have a proper QT setup. My QT is well established with a large sponge fliter. It also has a small power head, simple light and a heater.

I disagree that freshwater dips will kill all of the Ich cysts. I've done FW dips on all of my fish and I still have had to battle Ich on 3 different occasions. One of which caused my Naso to spend a total of 7 weeks straight in my 20G QT as I put him through Hypo.

tmz
08/01/2007, 05:39 PM
Freesh water dip will not kill ich embeded in the tissue of the animal. QT tank needs to be comfortable and have good water quality. I use system water and seeded live rock in a 29gallon and have qted tangs with out ill effect. If you have a healthy established tank the trouble of quarantine is well worth the effort. Any new specimen can bring in a plaugue which will kill your tank healthy or not.

KEstep
08/01/2007, 09:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10460532#post10460532 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chromafi

Wow. I quarentine all my fish in a 20 long with pvc pipes for hiding places. This includes: Medium/large Achillies Tang that was in for 6 weeks. If you buy a show size tang then no the 20 is probably not going to work but it is fine for most tangs.
I would be against placing a newly acquired newly stressed tang into a freshwater dip and then into the aquarium. I think this is extremely hard on a tang that is freaked out enough as it is and I think is playing with fire.

In my qt right now I have a goodsize copperband, a small yellowbelly blue tang, a small convict tang, and 6 firefish. They have been in there for 3 weeks and will be going into the display Tuesday next week. I have not lost a single fish that I have qt'd in my 20 long ever. If you want to be sure to keep an ich free display you should always always always QT your tangs. It is also a great time for them to get comfortable with seeing you and makes the transition to your display much easier.

Freed
08/02/2007, 03:31 AM
I also disagree. My 20 gallon QT has housed rabbitfish, tangs, CBB, six line wrasse, corals, etc... Please do more research before giving this kind of advice.

wewerehere
08/17/2007, 04:56 PM
how about an Emperor (Imperator) Tang? are they ich magnets?

reefer4eva
08/17/2007, 05:37 PM
there is no tang named the emperor(imperator). Im pretty sure you are referring too the Emperor(Imperator) Angel. It is not as much of a magnet to ich than tangs. They need a bigg tankk. Hope this helped :bounce1:

xxseawolf
08/17/2007, 09:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10450720#post10450720 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mattyice
IME sohals are tougher then nails, i am having a slight ich breakout in my tank that i am treating and the sohal has no ich, its quite active, and actually is still a baby at only 2" long, my last sohal was the same way but i had to get rid of him as he got too aggressive and i was too new to the hobby to understand that i cant add anything after a 4-5" sohal went in the tank

chevron's can be very good additions to your tank, but with a large sailfin already in the tank its hard to say what will happen, i would have to say i would much rather not take a chance with a smaller more expensive fish as there can be a good chance that the sailfin would tear it apart, but IME i have a vlamingii tang thats about 3.5" now and i just added a 2-3" sohal and they fought for 10 minutes and now they are the best of buds, so you never know what could happen i wouldnt put a sohal in a 125g IMO. they are the most aggressive of tangs. what are your tankmates? the sohal grows to be about 16". better be your last fish.

xxseawolf
08/17/2007, 09:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10576640#post10576640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefer4eva
there is no tang named the emperor(imperator). Im pretty sure you are referring too the Emperor(Imperator) Angel. It is not as much of a magnet to ich than tangs. They need a bigg tankk. Hope this helped :bounce1: and not in a coral reef tank.

prugs
08/18/2007, 04:28 PM
Everyone is attracked to the juvinelle colors of the chevron.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/tsprug/29791tang_shot_3.jpg

But there peaceful attitude remains.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/tsprug/MyBigGuys.jpg

zemuron114
08/18/2007, 05:51 PM
i might have missed this, but how big is the sailfin? Sailfins IME aren't nearly as aggressive as yellows, purples or blacks. I kept a 2" sailfin and a 2" chevron in a 10 gallon BB tank (attached to my system) for over a month. There wasn't any aggression at all. I would say you will be fine. The sailfin may whip is tail at him, but will soon lose interest. and leave the chevron alone. once he realizes the chevron isn't a threat he will stop harassing him. Chevrons are very peaceful so he will not fight back. :) I say go for it. Chevrons are awesome!