PDA

View Full Version : egg crate?

osiris4evr
07/30/2007, 10:14 PM
hey was thinking about building my own fuge but im not fimilar with "eggcrate" was wondering where it can be purchase and what it goes for per X"byY"? thanks

bebitte70
07/30/2007, 11:27 PM
I didn't buy any yet but it's around 10 bucks for a sheet at home depot.

Azazael13
07/31/2007, 05:44 AM
just don't ask people where it is, they will look at you funny :)

At my Lowe's store it is in the lighting area (the industrial lighting next to lumber, not the standard house lighting.)

reelsteel
07/31/2007, 05:48 AM
If you use eggcrate, notice there is an up and down side to it. It's made to either focus light or expand it depending on what type of application your using it for. You will notice a slight difference in the square sizes on each side. On a fuge you may not care, but on a display tank, the light difference could mean alot.

Azazael13
07/31/2007, 06:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10450455#post10450455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reelsteel
If you use eggcrate, notice there is an up and down side to it. It's made to either focus light or expand it depending on what type of application your using it for. You will notice a slight difference in the square sizes on each side. On a fuge you may not care, but on a display tank, the light difference could mean alot.

Now you are going to make me look at mine when I get home.

This would explain why one side seems brighter under my moon lights though.

reelsteel
07/31/2007, 06:30 AM
It's funny, I never noticed it either, till a friend of mine had the club's par meter and was messing around testing the light with and without the eggcrate and noticed a difference when he put the eggcrate back on, he must have turned it upside down and noticed a difference in the readings from before. So there is a slight difference, not sure how it affects the corals or the lighting of the tank, just something to think about. Also not sure if all eggcrate is made the same way, we get ours from home depot(not sure the brand name), Lowes brand may not have the same design.

Azazael13
07/31/2007, 06:37 AM
It would make sense, one side of my tank is seriously brighter at night. I would think they have the same design though.

supereri
07/31/2007, 11:48 AM
Check the lighting isle at your local big box hardware store.

I never noticed the different sides though...