PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Ricordea yumas in trouble!

Telal
07/31/2007, 12:00 AM
I got a rock full of Ricordea yumas from a friend who was taking down his tank that keep spitting out brown strings from their mouths every night. Is this their zooanthellae? They seem to otherwise be fine, they open nicely and have so far kept their color... I know yumas don't require as much light a floridas so I placed them on the bottom, after 2 days of this I propped a black plastic piece on the rim of the tank above them to block some light but they're still at it. Is this going to kill them or bleach them?

Telal
07/31/2007, 12:26 AM
I've been searching and reading everything I can on Rics and so far can't find much info on yumas. Does anyone have some links at least? I've been looking on ricordea.org and wwm but can't find anything on this yet.

reelsteel
07/31/2007, 07:39 AM
They eat and rid their waste through their mouths. Mushrooms do the same. Don't worry, they are just going to the bathroom(they maybe shy so give them some privacy lol) As long as they look healthy, it's nothing to worry about.

Telal
07/31/2007, 12:26 PM
Even though they've been spewing out this brown substance since friday? Now one of them looks like it was torn away from another rock so part of its foot is loose as of last night it had a little bit of white fuzzy/mushy stuff on the part of its foot that is still attached, it took a lot to blow it off with a turkey baster. Anyone have any idea what that was? I'm getting ready to go on vacation thursday thru sunday and I really don't want to come back to a rock of dead yumas or worse.

reelsteel
07/31/2007, 12:35 PM
Sometimes when they spew alot out, they don't look that good for a day or two. I have mine in some decent water flow, and have them on the bottom of the tank but they are under 3x400w MH bulbs. They will move around if they are not happy, I would let the light back on them. That white mushy stuff may grow into another Yuma. They have know to reproduce if part of a foot is cut off or left behind. Go on vacation and don't stress, somethings just need to work themselves out. They will be there when you return. How are your water parameters?

Telal
07/31/2007, 12:59 PM
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0-5
Phosphates 0
Calcium 440
Salinity 1.025
kh 9!
I've gotta work on my kh, I haven't been doing large water changes.
Thanks for the response, this is my first really beautiful specimen and I've been stressing. So I should remove the light shield I put up? I've got a JBJ Picotope with a 12" 2x18w Current USA Satellite over it and I'm running an AC70 fuge mod as filtration. Is 12w/gallon of CF light 12" above them too much?

reelsteel
07/31/2007, 01:18 PM
What type of light were they under before you got them. That doesn't seem like that light would hurt them.

Telal
07/31/2007, 01:33 PM
Well the LFS had them under metal halides it looked like 1 10000K, 1 14000K, and 1 20000K but he'd only gotten them the night before and they hadn't opened in his tank.... he said they were aquacultured but said he couldn't remember which wholesaler he'd got the from.

ahullsb
07/31/2007, 04:43 PM
kH of 9 seems fine to me. I think that is what everyone shoots for.

reelsteel
08/01/2007, 04:57 AM
They maybe trying to adjust to the multiple moves.