PDA

View Full Version : how long do test kits last?

sir_dudeguy
07/31/2007, 12:35 AM
title says it all...I was just wondering how long the api amonia test kits are good for. I've got one from a long time ago, but i never use it really because...well for one there should not be any amonia in an established tank :)

But i just got a new rock from my store that someone just brought in cuz they didnt want it anymore...so i "adopted" the rock :lol: but i'm not sure if it was from an established tank or not...i didnt have a chance to ask him. But its a very very nice rock and its huge, so i wanna use it!

melev
07/31/2007, 01:29 AM
Usually they are good for about one year after they've been opened. I've used kits that are older, but results could be inaccurate, so it would be wise to replace it with a fresh kit.

Whenever I buy kits, I write the date on the box that I bought it. Even if I don't open it for 6 months, at least I have an idea of how long its been around.

sir_dudeguy
07/31/2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks! Good idea on writing the date down. I'll have to pick up a new one tomorrow i guess. I get a discount since i work at the store so i can get it dirt cheap :) Or...i could just take it in there and do the tests at the store haha...