PDA

View Full Version : nudi eating wrasse - compatibility

kypatriot
07/31/2007, 10:40 AM
Didn't want to hi-jack Mucho's thread just to ask this -

I got my first zoos a few months ago and they had nudi's, which I figured out late. I dipped them & scraped off the eggs, but I'd still like a couple wrasses.

They're in 2 tanks, and I'd like to add a wrasse to both if possible, but I also want to be sure there won't be problems with current inhabitants. What nudi-eaters would do well with what I already have? (ie - will a yellow coris and my yellow tang fight?)

135g tank: yellow tang, naso tang (will be leaving the tank in the next couple months), flame angel, tomato clown, diamond watchman goby, 3-stripe damsel, and blue devil damsel.

40g: true percula, 2 chromis, neon goby, firefish, rainford's goby, mandarin, and the world's smallest hippo tang (who will go to the 135 once it grows some & the naso leaves). For the mandarin & pods, this tank has a 30g refugium, and the tank is LOADED with pods.

TIA.

650-IS350
07/31/2007, 11:07 AM
Yellow coris or Green seagrass coris is what everyone's recommending, but from what I've read most coris are put into reeftank with a CAUTION label... as besides going after Nudi's, pest snails... they will also go after your beneficial janitors as well... from what I've read most leopards are the most reefsafe and beautiful as well.. but hard to keep... My tank has a mystery, esquisite, blue sided wrasses ( had a RED and Carpenter, both jumped )..... they patrol my zoos daily as well as my acro's....

They have thankfully erradicated most of my huge ampipods... I also have a mandarin to help keep pods in check.

kypatriot
07/31/2007, 11:35 AM
I actually had a mystery for the 40g, but it did not survive shipping.

I was thinking of a carpenter's for the 40g, but I'd like to get a couple of them, so that may be better to wait until the tang and chromis move to the other tank.

The 40g is very well covered so no one can jump, while the 135 is more difficult & has some small holes that could be escape routes.

650-IS350
07/31/2007, 11:51 AM
Carpenters and Filamented flashers are the best looking IMO' , too are the McCoskers... Mystery's when they get bigger may harras other fish.. which is why I opted for a small one... its tangled with my bigger wrasses already but has been put in its place for now..

kypatriot
08/02/2007, 10:27 AM
Has anyone had experience with a carpenter's or McCosker's eating nudibranches?

neuthe
08/06/2007, 04:39 PM
Yellow is the 1s choice. I lose 1 every few weeks JUMPING!!

techigirl78
08/07/2007, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't forsee problems housing a yellow coris wrasse with a yellow tang. The body types are completely different. The halechoeres wrasses tend to be less likely to jump then other wrasses (hide in the sand), but they still can jump like any other fish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10451980#post10451980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by delsol650
Yellow coris or Green seagrass coris is what everyone's recommending, but from what I've read most coris are put into reeftank with a CAUTION label... as besides going after Nudi's, pest snails... they will also go after your beneficial janitors as well... from what I've read most leopards are the most reefsafe and beautiful as well.. but hard to keep... My tank has a mystery, esquisite, blue sided wrasses ( had a RED and Carpenter, both jumped )..... they patrol my zoos daily as well as my acro's....

The yellow "coris" and green "coris" are not true coris wrasses. They are members of the Halichoeres genus. This makes them much less risky then true coris wrasses. That said, my Halichoeres melanarus wrasse has always been good and been housed with cleaner shrimp with no problems. My coris venusta wrasse (true coris wrasse), on the other hand, takes joy in ripping apart clams, shrimp, and urchins, but tends to leave corals and snails alone.

In any regard, the yellow "coris" would seem like a good fit for your 135 as long as you do not have any small shrimp.

kypatriot
08/07/2007, 04:16 PM
I do have 2 larger skunk cleaner shrimp, which my tangs and flame angel frequent several times per day every day.