PDA

View Full Version : I am lost on this hydrometer

latrecia4life
07/31/2007, 10:40 AM
I was given an instant ocean hydrometer. I have no idea how to use it. I do not think I am using it corectly by dumping the whole thing in and filling it with water, because the needl;e does nothing. Please help if you can. It is appreciated!!!

Thanks

der_wille_zur_macht
07/31/2007, 10:42 AM
Are you testing fresh water or salt? The needle won't move in fresh water. . .

Also, make sure it's not just jammed or stuck in place.

Andrew
07/31/2007, 10:47 AM
[welcome]

Sounds like a problem with the hydrometer. Invest in a refractometer, as they are the most accurate way to messure your SG.

latrecia4life
07/31/2007, 10:48 AM
I am testing 55 g of saltwater. I know it should move because before I purchased the tank, ADNUP tested the water and it tested fine. We transported the water and all and now that I test it, It shows nothing :( Is there a proper way of using this device? Am I putting water in the correct spot? Thanks

taillonjohn
07/31/2007, 10:57 AM
I have one like that.... just submerge it in the water till it fills up, then lift it out from the water, the needle should move. hold it perpendicular. always check carefully that there are no small micro-bubbles on the needle or it won't move properly. If you don't rinse the tool after using it, the saltwater will corod the metal in the neddle, so it also won't move properly. if you set it down too hard on the table, the needle might move off its "track", so won't move properly. I used to buy a new one every 3 months, till I bought a refractometer, and have had it for 8 months no problems.

kkyyllee
07/31/2007, 10:58 AM
sounds like its stuck, fill it up with viniger and let it sit for 20 minutes then rinse it out, fill it with water from the tank and place it on a level surface

jhentr
07/31/2007, 11:05 AM
If you are going to be in the hobby for a long time, a refractometer is the best thing to get (especially when it comes time to hypo). IMO, this was the best money spent by me. The floating hydrometer I had was off by .005 compared to the refractometer I bought.

They should run anywhere from ~$30 (used) to ~50(new).

latrecia4life
07/31/2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys, I think I am just goign to go buy a refractometer from the store today. Anyone know what makes a good clean upo crew for the algae that grows under the sand around the tank, the pi nkish and purple stuff?I have a few snails and a couple things that look like shrimp, and I dont know if it helps but I also bought a Blennie that has like a frog looking head and a eel body, but I don't think he does much but Sand bathes!

der_wille_zur_macht
07/31/2007, 11:19 AM
Not many creatures will eat the stuff you're describing, which is probably coralline algae. Don't worry though, it's good stuff. If it starts growing up the glass walls of the tank, you can scrape it off with a razor blade - or one of those magnetic cleaning tools if you catch it early enough.