PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this plant before? ID if possible

ScarabRa
07/31/2007, 03:53 PM
So i finally break down and get some T5's to replace my withered power compacts. (I was un employued for a bit, and just got caught up so i can play with my tank again)

anyways this re sprouted, and is growing fairly fast.
faster with even the new power compacts when I got them.

I have had it grow out 3 times now, this being the third.
hopefully I can keep the lights on so to speak.

lemme know if you have seen anything like this before.
It looks kind of like Holly, but its clearish deep red leaves and stalk, with bright orange metallic spots, the picture soes not do it justice.

http://test02.revengecycle.com/00fish-pics/red-plant-july-07.jpg

fyi, modernreefkeeper is my new forum name, but since i had thios one here im keeping this one as it is.

Oh and a bonus, some clams from my LFS

http://test02.revengecycle.com/00fish-pics/surpriseclamday.jpg

ACBlinky
07/31/2007, 04:09 PM
Wow, it's stunning! Sorry I can't remotely ID it, but I can suggest that you post this in the marine plants forum - there are some VERY knowledgeable folks there.

ScarabRa
07/31/2007, 04:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10454050#post10454050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ACBlinky
Wow, it's stunning! Sorry I can't remotely ID it, but I can suggest that you post this in the marine plants forum - there are some VERY knowledgeable folks there.

Ok am i missing a menu or sompton...lol

i tried to find a category for plants, but not seing it, is it on rc or another forum altogether?

on3ofak1nd
07/31/2007, 04:49 PM
Sorry I can't ID but that is a stunning plant indee! Is it some sort of macro? I've had similar macro growing but without the orange spots...
Did you photoshop that at all?

on3ofak1nd
07/31/2007, 04:55 PM
Hmm a type of Gracilaria perhaps, I'm pretty sure that is what I had growing. I'll keep looking into it...

flyyyguy
07/31/2007, 05:02 PM
it looks kinda like a halymenia aka red anger bush. But the orange spots are something. Its gorgeous

ScarabRa
07/31/2007, 05:33 PM
PHOTOSHOP!!! ROFL
Thats what i said before i took the picture....lol

You are welcome to come see it, i would like to propigate it, now that it seems to be taking off.

It will literally grow from an old root, cause that was all that was left.

Firts time i let it go was only down for like 6 months, and it came back.

this time it was down for over a year, and BAM its back.
I will have a video of it soon, hard to pshop a video right ....

oh and thanks for that inital post bout the plant forum, it spawned a google search, where I found quite a few good finds, including barrreport dot com

Ya know back when i was really in to this, I worked in the trade all through high school, and even at a wholesaler during college, there wasnt any internet to look up stuff on, now theres TONS of great sites.

ScarabRa
07/31/2007, 05:40 PM
I had been a little embarassed about showing a full pic, due to my green alge overpopulation, as I just added my t5's, and i kind of had a slight explosion.

Compared to what my tank looked like 2 years ago, its literally trashed, but maby ill post up some full pics.

ACBlinky
07/31/2007, 07:09 PM
RC has a marine plants and macroalgae forum, that's what I meant. Scroll down on the main forum page - it's down near the invert and coral forums. Barreport.com, that's got to be Tom Barr, he's a genius! I used to hang out on a FW forum and learned a lot about keeping aquatic plants from him, including the chemistry of how to mix and use my own fertilizers. You can bet if info is coming from Tom, it's good.

ScarabRa
08/01/2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks,

I could have swore I saw it before, but I couldent find it before posting here.

I x-posted it there, but no responses yet

pupfish
08/06/2007, 04:18 AM
Dude, you're gonna be rich - I tell ya, stinkin' rich! Ok, maybe not - but, I'd cultivate the c**p out of it. We've got people out here fighting (well, almost) when 9 small frags of Ochotodes went up for sale at a local LFS (w/ a metro area of 5 million). That stuff you have is awesome!

Meredith