PDA

View Full Version : acceptable pipefish tankmates ???

cateyes
07/31/2007, 03:55 PM
for those of you that have pipefish what else do you keep with them?

i'm thinking of setting up a 50 gallon tank primarily for pipefish, but wondered what else i might be able to keep with them? fish, shrimp, featherdusters or even low light corals.

also could two types, say dragon face and multibanded, be put together in a tank that size?

if you have any picks of your set ups, feel free to post them, i'd love to see!! :)

thanks, lisa

pledosophy
07/31/2007, 10:51 PM
Many people have been keeping pipefish in full reef tanks with a variety of fish. They do not have the same limitations that seahorses have IME.

Shrimp will be fine as long as they are not edible size. Corals are fine even LPS and SPS from what many report. Featherdusters are any easy no risk yes. Any non aggressive fish that would not eat them or out compete for food would be cool IMO.

Since your looking at keeping many pipes I would suggest a refugium and staying away from other fish that dine on pods, although most pipefish can be trained to frozen foods, they still like to graze.

HTH

Your tank sounds like it will be fun, comeback with pics when your ready. :D

1mtnbkr1mtnbkr
08/08/2007, 01:16 PM
I have recently added a pipe fish to my reef tank. I also have the following fish in there.

Sargassium Trigger
Lyre tail Anthis (1 male 3 female)
lawnmower Bennie
Maroon Clown

The clown and the trigger were curious when i firs put him in but since then they have ignored the pipe. The pipe fish found a low flow area in the tank and likes to hang our there. The tank is 100 gallon with a variety of soft and hard corals. I have not seen the pipe fish pick on any of them.

The pipe has been in the tank for one week.

mollymonticello
08/11/2007, 10:24 PM
Personally, I wouldn't put a pipe in with a trigger, and I wouldn't recommend it to the average aquarist. But there is an exception to every rule! I do hope you'll continue to keep us updated on that situation, whether it is unsuccessful or successful.

wsun083
08/14/2007, 10:31 PM
any updates on how the pipefish is doing?