PDA

View Full Version : Diatoms and Cyno fixed with a UV?

rocketman2005
07/31/2007, 04:15 PM
Hi i have some diatoms and cyno forming, i've been looking at a UV sterilizer for my tank anyway but will this help to get rid of the algae as well? also how many gallons per watt is reccommend?

Thanks!

sirjohn
07/31/2007, 07:45 PM
It really depends on the particular type of unit.

Some are meant for high flow and some for less flow. Check the website of a unit you like. Almost every manufacturer of UVs has a chart you can refer to that guides you as to which unit (watts) you should consider for the particular size of your tank. These charts almost always provide recommended flow rates for the particular application. Usually, higher flows through the unit are fine if you just want to get rid of the greenish tint in your water (due to algae), while slow flows are required to kill free floating parasites, like ick.

Mr Pheer
07/31/2007, 07:53 PM
i've got so much brown/red/purple stuff growing on my sand its not funny anymore :(

jdieck
07/31/2007, 07:59 PM
No they will not be helped with a UV unit.
Cyano is fed by Nitrates Phosphates and organics and diatoms include silicates. Need to work in reducing those nutrients.

Steve 926
07/31/2007, 08:12 PM
Hello jdieck
What would cause a red algae ( not red slime)
I have a small amount in my sump, nothing serious for now but I don't know why. Water parameters are excellent, ro/di, chaeto grows fine. I have a 6500K daylight energy, 60 watt bulb in a clip light on a 12/12 period. Could the bulb be too intense for the sump ?. it's a 15 gal split into 3 sections, 1 being a small refug

Steve 926

:smokin:

illal
07/31/2007, 08:20 PM
how old is the tank?? if its a new tank diatoms are normal... as far as cyano increase the flow and check yur phos ;)

jdieck
07/31/2007, 09:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10455759#post10455759 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steve 926
Hello jdieck
What would cause a red algae ( not red slime)
I have a small amount in my sump, nothing serious for now but I don't know why. Water parameters are excellent, ro/di, chaeto grows fine. I have a 6500K daylight energy, 60 watt bulb in a clip light on a 12/12 period. Could the bulb be too intense for the sump ?. it's a 15 gal split into 3 sections, 1 being a small refug

Steve 926

If you are referring to red hair algae usually IME it is imported in some specimens, rock and specially the shell on snails from the gulf. Once in it requires little nutrients but it develops.
The good news is that red hair algae is very palatable to Mexican Turbo Snails, they it it like Kandy, a single turbo can clean up a 55 gal in a couple of weeks.

Peter Eichler
07/31/2007, 10:02 PM
If you guys are talking about Red Gracilaria sp. then it's about as tasty as algae gets for herbivores. I have some that grows in my sump and overflow that I will toss in the tank from time to time and the herbivores go nuts for it.

rocketman2005
07/31/2007, 10:08 PM
the tanks about 3-4 months old, i was using an OLD RO/DI unit, i have since replaced it earlier this week and have changed out about 10% of my systems water and am doing another 10% change tomorrow, i'm also going from IO salt to Tropic Marin, no silicates in that i'm told, but my nitrates and phos are both reading 0 i just checked again today so hopefully this all works out!

Steve 926
08/01/2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the reply gentleman.

I use a small 9w with a, 4 ~5 gal/hr flow. Helps with something I hope !. Seeing the red algae, I wondered if the UV had anything to do with it, ( "Mutant algae from outer space" got to stop watching the Sci Fi channel ) So in the sump it stays for future treats in the display.

Once Again
Thank You

Steve 926