PDA

View Full Version : converting sediment filter to DSB or Cal Reactor with pic

Crumbs
07/31/2007, 10:56 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s235/Crumbs_photos/Picture003.jpg

I am thinking of converting this sediment filter into either a deep sand bed bucket type filter or a calcium reactor.

The filter stands 24" high with a 10" diameter. I found 1" pipe that I can run from the intake of the filter down to the bottom. The flow would then drain out back out the top. It is like a big single stage RO filter.

I have a fish only tank no coral lots but macro algae.

any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

herkey1993
08/01/2007, 06:49 AM
Depending on the size of the tank and the flow rate through the canister, not sure if its big enough to function as a DSB. I think you'd need a much higher volume of sand than that would hold to really function as a DSB.

You could turn it into a calcium reactor, though. I personally would like to be able to see through mine with clear PVC or acrylic, but you don't need to. It would also make a nice phosban reactor. If you plan on adding corals and inverts to your tank you may find at some point you'll need one.

Just my 2 cents.....

Crumbs
08/01/2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks herkey,

So I guess the only difference would be the media that I am adding to the canister.

I was thinking the same thing with the DSB sand volume. So a phoban reactor controls phosphates? If so my understanding is that phosphate removers can only be used for several days before the media is exhausted?