PDA

View Full Version : 120g stocking list

Wrench
08/01/2007, 08:17 PM
I'm working out all the details on planning my 120 build. One of the final things is the stocking list. Without having the tank setup to look at I'm having a hard time picturing how many fish will fit well in the tank. Here is a list of what I've got and what I'd like to have. I know that the list is too long, I'm hoping that the advice in this thread will help me whittle it down to a manageable and healthy size. The tank will be a mixed reef with around 150# of live rock. Flow will be moderate and higher near the top of the tank for the SPS.

What I already have that will be moving to the new tank;
5 chromis
Pair of Oscellaris Clowns
Watchman goby
Yellowback damsel

Possible additions;
Lyretail anthias (how many?)
Yellow Tang
Sailfin tang
Powder blue tang
Longnose hawkfish
Royal gramma.

jnc914
08/01/2007, 08:24 PM
I'll comment on each of your possible additions. First i would only put one tank in a 120, and out of the ones you have listed i would go with a yellow or the powder blue. Both will eventually need a bigger tank, but will take longer to grow, unlike the sailfin which will easily outgrow your 120 within 6-9 months. If keeping Lyretails, you want to keep one male and two females in a tank your size. The longnose hawk is a cool addition, but they are known jumpers. The royal gramma is also very nice, possible aggression once established, but that it possible with any of your choices. I personally would go with the yellow tang, the longnose hawk, and the royal gramma and call it a day. Good Luck.

jnc914
08/01/2007, 08:27 PM
tang, not tank...sorry.

kodyboy
08/01/2007, 09:35 PM
you could easily fit everything on both your lists in your 120, except the sailfin tang.....too big later on. A powder blue and a yellow would be fine in a 120, but add them at the same time.
One male and four-five female anthias would make a nice group.
I would get 7-9 small chromis as they often whittle their numbers down over time.
Again, introduce each group all at the same time.
The longnose hawk is not aggressive, but they can eat surprisingly large fish.
Of course fewer fish means fewer water quality issues....but it depends on how much maintenance you want to do.

Wrench
08/02/2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the advice. Two completely different opinions lol

lvreefer
08/02/2007, 09:29 AM
Something that hasn't been brought up is filtration. I saw that you are adding ~150lb of rock, but for fish load, you want a good skimmer. You could add all of those fish if you wanted, however a yellow and sailfin might fight. I would stay away from a power blue. The gramma should be fine, but the longnose hawk can pick off small shrimps and fish. The chromis and anthias will school along with midas blennies (another option).

kodyboy
08/02/2007, 09:37 AM
A good skimmer is a necessity. An octopus nw200 or DAS ex-1 would work well for your tank.

RichConley
08/02/2007, 10:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10466296#post10466296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
A good skimmer is a necessity. An octopus nw200 or DAS ex-1 would work well for your tank.

Theres no way in heck an Ex-1 would be able to keep up with that tank.

bluerug
08/02/2007, 10:19 AM
Agreed an ex1 will not keep up for sure.

kodyboy
08/02/2007, 10:55 AM
I think an ex-1 being both recirc and pulling 500lph could easily handle a 120, now would I prefer an ex-2 on it, sure, or a heavily modded nw200, yep, but an ex-1 is a really good skimmer for the price tag. You would have to mod an octo nw200 to equal it or surpass it, and by then you are over the $260 cost. An ex-2 is much better at $400, 1000lph plus the larger size. You would have to get a ps-2000 skimmer to equal the ex-1 out of the box, and that is $350.

RichConley
08/02/2007, 01:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10466751#post10466751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
I think an ex-1 being both recirc and pulling 500lph could easily handle a 120, now would I prefer an ex-2 on it, sure, or a heavily modded nw200, yep, but an ex-1 is a really good skimmer for the price tag. You would have to mod an octo nw200 to equal it or surpass it, and by then you are over the $260 cost. An ex-2 is much better at $400, 1000lph plus the larger size. You would have to get a ps-2000 skimmer to equal the ex-1 out of the box, and that is $350.

Seriously, IMO, an EX-3 is about the minimum here. There is no way an EX-1 will handle this tank. An EX-1 is functionally identical to an ER RC 80. Would you put an RC 80 on a 120g with lots of fish?

I dont get why people think that adding DAS, DELTEC, or H&S to the name of a skimmer makes it work better. The EX-1 is a tiny little skimmer. I wouldnt put anything with less than an 8" body on a 120.

Have to mod a NW200? Stock out of the box its can handle a MUCH bigger tank than an EX1. The EX1 will work better on small tanks, but it tops out at about 75g lightly stocked IMO.

kodyboy
08/02/2007, 04:07 PM
500lph is 500lph big or little skimmer. An octopus nw200 does not do 500lph unless modded, so the extra size is of little value. The DAS is also a recirc, again more efficient. The DAS is smaller, but it pulls more air and is more efficient, therefore it can pull more skimmate than the nw200. Put them side by side and see which one works better. The DAS is just optimized for its size, the octopus is not. Now meshmod the octo, recirc it, add a gate valve, give it a better pump and you are in business. The RS80 is not as good as the DAS because it is not a recirc and the pump is not as good, it would take the RC80 to equal it (at almost twice the price). Come on the DAS line is one of the best bang for the buck skimmer lines out there, I wish I knew that before I bought my aquaeruousa classic 400!

Wrench
08/02/2007, 06:34 PM
I don't plan on all of the fish on that list, but nonetheless I plan on a nice skimmer. I'm still researching that subject. Something tells me that the CSS65 I have on my 45g tank now wont be sufficient ;)

On another note, why stay away from the PBT? And I've pretty much disregarded the Sailfin.

kodyboy
08/02/2007, 08:10 PM
PBTs can be quite aggressive and are ick magnets (like most tangs, but they seem more prone than others). Nice ones are beautiful and if you can get one from a reputable dealer, quarantine it, and put it in last (or at the same time as another tang, I have had the most success with multiple tangs by putting them in at the same time) then it would probably work fine.

Wrench
08/02/2007, 08:20 PM
How do regular Blue Tangs compare? Would that be a better choice?

kodyboy
08/02/2007, 08:25 PM
A pacific blue would be a much better choice. It still has ick issues, but it is not nearly as aggressive. In fact they can be kept in groups.