PDA

View Full Version : Red Bugs?

sditch
08/01/2007, 11:32 PM
I have a pretty stocked SPS tank with plenty of Acro's. Just wanted to know how I can tell if I have a Red Bug Problem. Most of the corals are doing great but I have had some that have not grown in 4 months and would like to see if it is caused by red bugs. Whats the best why to spot these little guys?

Thanks,
Sean

Nanook
08/02/2007, 07:27 AM
Look for corals not displaying polyp extension, then look very carefully for small red spots crawling around on them. Perhaps a magnifying glass will be needed depending on your eyesight.

sditch
08/02/2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks Dave,

I do have a couple that are not displaying polyp extension latley, I will look into it. Is it easier to pull the piece out of the tank to examine?

carpus
08/02/2007, 10:18 AM
I find it easier to look at the coral without moving them. Usually when your light just come on is the best time to look. Should look like yellow dots running around the coral, hiding in and out the polpys. the bugs have a yellow body with a red head

sditch
08/02/2007, 11:24 AM
Good Info.....Thanks guys

Serioussnaps
08/02/2007, 11:48 AM
Actually...looking for yellow spots is better. Red bugs are yellow with a tiny little red butt/head(whether that end is the butt or the head i think is up for debate)

They are easy to see on smooth tissued acros. It depends on how the corallites are shaped. For example, they are easier to see on say a turaki than on a millie. Use a magnifying glass to be sure, but once you know what you are looking for you can spot them without one in most cases.

miztic
08/02/2007, 12:25 PM
Pretty sure the red end is the head:
http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes-content/Photos.html
check out the video section, it shows it even better..

sditch
08/02/2007, 02:48 PM
Wow, Went home for lunch and took a ORA German Green with Blue pulps and had a friend help me look at it though my glass.

This is one of the pieces that has not grown much or have much polp extention.

Since the boby of the acro is bright green all I was able to see was little red dots running around. The red dots were very very tiny. I will have to check for the yellow next.