PDA

View Full Version : problems with my diy skimmer

jck9
08/02/2007, 12:08 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/150112CIMG0936__Small_.JPG
this is the skimmer. 16" reaction chamber, 2" diameter neck about 6" tall. the ball valve is replaced with a gate valve. otp2000 recirc pump. mj400 feed pump
on other skimmers that i have had i would adjust the water level so that the bubbles were just below the cup. when i do this on my diy skimmer i get no foam. if it is adjusted so that the bubbles are anywhere in the neck no foam builds up. all the bubbles just pop. the only way that i have gotten some foam build up is to lower the water level so that the bubbles are about 1" below the neck then the foam starts to build but never gets to the collection cup. i hope someone can help me out

alpine
08/02/2007, 12:40 PM
Looks like a Randystace skimmer.Sounds like your neck size is to cmall.You might want to pm or email Randystace and ask his opinion.Btw what size diameter is the reaction chamber?

RichConley
08/02/2007, 01:04 PM
sounds to me like it needs time.

bubbles breaking is usually a sign of oil.

jck9
08/02/2007, 01:05 PM
teah its a randystacye skimmer. the reaction chamber is 6". i thought the neck size might be too small as well but wanted some other opinions. thanks

luke33
08/02/2007, 01:41 PM
You can't determine that the neck is to small without knowing what kind of air he's pulling. If your seeing soda pop fizz instead of foam it sounds like a new skimmer less than two weeks old and needs time to break in. If you added new equipment it would do this as well. IMO it sounds like you just need some time.

jck9
08/02/2007, 02:06 PM
good deal. that is kinda what it sounds like. i jus have a otp2000 w/3 layers of gutter guard so i didnt know what to think. ill give it some time. thanks

miwoodar
08/02/2007, 02:36 PM
How small are the bubbles when they reach the base of the neck? I built a very similar skimmer recently (used a Sedra 5000 with a bored venturi) and actually had to dial the air way back. My best performance has come from adjusting the skimmer until the bubbles entering the neck are as small as possible.

When I upped the air I could keep the same level in the neck (using the gate valve on the effluent water) but the skimmate production always went to zero --- all it would do was burb large bubbles.

alpine
08/02/2007, 02:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10467870#post10467870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
You can't determine that the neck is to small without knowing what kind of air he's pulling.

I was'nt determining,I was suggesting that it "MIGHT" be to small.Since he stated that he owned more then 1 skimmer before,its safe to assume that he already knows that skimmers go thru a break in period.

jck9
08/02/2007, 07:13 PM
i knew there was a break in period but it had already been 3 days and i figured it already was. it is starting to collect a little foam now. not much but some. i cant tell how big the bubbles are before the neck cause it has a pvc body with a union and clear riser neck in the cup. inside the neck of the cup they are pretty big