PDA

View Full Version : 100 % water change

balmiesgirl
08/02/2007, 12:23 PM
Is there any problems that may occur if I do 100 % water change?
I have an established tank (about 5 years) with lots of LR & sand.
I am planning a move and am planning ahead.

billsreef
08/02/2007, 12:40 PM
So long as the new water is well aged, and of the same salinity, it should be fine ;)

balmiesgirl
08/02/2007, 12:44 PM
Aged how?

greenbean36191
08/02/2007, 02:19 PM
Aged as in not mixed right before you add it to tank. Just mix it up in a trashcan and toss a powerhead in to let it circulate overnight.

balmiesgirl
08/02/2007, 03:08 PM
k...thanks

BeanAnimal
08/02/2007, 06:25 PM
It allows the water to stabilize with regard to PH and other parameters that may fluctuate due to CO2 and other gases that need to come to equilibrium in the newly mixed water.

You may want to also check the PH, Calcium and Alkalinity. Buffer them to match the existing water. Also be careful of the move water parameters.

DMBillies
08/02/2007, 11:04 PM
Moving can be stressful enough on the critters that any additional stress from water differences in the old water as compared to the new water could push them over the edge. Although it is impossible to move all of the water in a tank (you'll probably lose close to 30% even if you tried your hardest to save it all), I'd say it would be a good idea to keep as much as possible. That said, "aging" the water is a no brainer and really should be done for any water change. And, I'd run all of the tests you have on the new water if you're going to be doing such a huge water change (your salt mix could be just a little off, your new water source could have nutrients or contaminants that your other water source doesn't have or your filter could somehow get messed up during the move). Better safe than sorry.

gregg@AMS
08/03/2007, 09:26 AM
there will be some stress regardless of what you do, but it certainly doesn't hurt to save as much water as you can. if you can't save water, just make sure your salinity, pH and kH are the same as the old water, try to have the temp be as close as possible to what the organisms are in at the time of their addition to the tank (very important variable), and, as bean animal stated, you need to let the water sit until you hit equilibrium.

i would also check the pH and kH of the water the organisms are being transported in....you are likely to experience a drop in both parameters depending on how long they are in their trans. containers.

lavith
08/04/2007, 01:41 AM
I am not a big fan of such huge volume water change. There's always micro-organism in the water column that's benifit to the tank. Other parameters like temp. and PH are the least I'd be worried about.

greenbean36191
08/04/2007, 08:43 AM
Obviously a 100% change is not ideal, but like Bill said, as long as you age it and match the salinity you will be fine. Trying to save and lug around the old water is a hassle that IMO just isn't worth the small benefit.

REEF-n-Chicago
08/05/2007, 07:35 AM
I, personally, would save at least some of the water.

pleaselaunchme
08/05/2007, 07:58 PM
I recently moved my tank, and for all practical purposes I'd say I did a 85-90% water change in the process (dumped in the water the fish, corals, and rock were transported in). I filled the tank about 1/2 way with the new, aged water, put in the LR, filled it up to the overflows, drip acclimated fish/corals/inverts and then put them and their water in. Topped off the sump and everything was happy the next day.

Mind you, I only moved accross town, so the fish/corals/inverts did only spend about 6-8 hours in buckets and bags.

Ben

zipp86
08/05/2007, 08:28 PM
A 100% water change would stress your corals especially SPS if you keep them, i personally think 50% is more than sufficent if you do the change bi-monthly.

bad badger 1
08/06/2007, 07:38 AM
i personally wouldn’t do a 100% as a rule id say no more than 50% but if your moving the tank you could re-acclimatised the rock sand, fish and corals to the new water but i would still use a lot of old water as well(as much as you can)!! like people have said get the new water as close to the old as you can!

djcerna
08/06/2007, 11:51 AM
do a 25% old water 75% new water to be on the safe side.

Randall_James
08/06/2007, 02:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10479714#post10479714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
Obviously a 100% change is not ideal, but like Bill said, as long as you age it and match the salinity you will be fine. Trying to save and lug around the old water is a hassle that IMO just isn't worth the small benefit. I would add make sure you acclimate all your animals as if they were just brought home from the LFS...

[welcome]
zipp86

greenbean36191
08/06/2007, 06:01 PM
Exactly. Stress-wise, a 100% change is no different than being moved from one tank to another. The only difference is that the water is nearly sterile.

As someone who has done probably 5 100% changes during moves, I can assure you, stress from the water change is the least of your worries.

mr.wilson
08/09/2007, 07:28 AM
It's more a matter of the duration of the move, than the quality of the water. The most injurious aspect of the move will be physical trauma and loss of biofilms (bacteria) from the rock and substrate.

In most cases, it's not that hard to move half of the water, but if you're in a high-rise, I can see the reluctance.

The key to success is planning ahead, and quick execution. These moves can take over 12 hours when you factor in other moving issues. I try to move them on their own day, without the other dramas and fiascos of moving.

One compromise would be to move a few buckets of water to the new location a few days in advance and mix it withe the "new" water. I would give it a few days, as 24 hours is a little tight. Some salts need the extra time to dissolve and react. It will also take you a few days to produce that much RO/DI water and get it up to the right temperature.

Seachem "Stability" and "Prime" would also be a wise addition. Your corals may slime for a few days so new carbon to remove allelopathic agents (coral toxins) would also be in order.