PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Run Time

rnelson
08/02/2007, 03:25 PM
I may have underestimated my chiller.....my tank is a 480gal, sump is 100gal....water in the display (minus rock/sand) is probably 430gal, sump runs probably 70gal, so we're talking about 500 gallons total. I have 4 pumps, all external. Lights are 1000W MH on a 4PM-9PM schedule.

The chiller is a 1/2hp Pacific Coast inline. My ambient temp is 77 degrees...the tank will maintain about 80 with no lights, goes up to 82 with them. I'm wanting to maintain a 75 degree tank, so I'm looking at a 7 degree pulldown. The chiller is rated at 450gal 10 degree pulldown.

Right now the chiller is coming on about 5 times per day.....it runs about 2 hrs for the non-MH part and about 3.5 hrs when the halides are on.

Do I need a bigger chiller?

ReefingBuddha
08/02/2007, 06:09 PM
In my unprofessional and non-expert opinion i would say yes. Either that or your could add a fan to help cool down the halides when they are on or when your tank starts to climb in temp. The problem is that your will have a lot more evaporation, but at least it is a cheap alternative to a bigger chiller.

I think you could also add an additional 1/4hp or 1/5hp chiller to help your existing one along.

bstone
08/02/2007, 07:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10469732#post10469732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thirschmann
In my unprofessional and non-expert opinion i would say yes. Either that or your could add a fan to help cool down the halides when they are on or when your tank starts to climb in temp. The problem is that your will have a lot more evaporation, but at least it is a cheap alternative to a bigger chiller.

I think you could also add an additional 1/4hp or 1/5hp chiller to help your existing one along.

I agree 100%. I have a 1100 gallon system with a 1.5HP tradewinds chiller (LOVE THIS CHILER) anyway, it runs for about 20 minutes about 6 - 8 times a day. I also have a very large fan that blows air across the top of my tank. This helps out a lot with evaporation (natual cooling process). If you add a fan your chiller usage will go down. I got one of those floor flans at HD/Lowes.

rnelson
08/02/2007, 07:16 PM
Well, I have 4 canopy fans that come on when the halides come on......I was running them 24/7 but was evaporating the heck out of it......

There is a window directly behind my tank......I'm currently taking outside air into my dual Beckett skimmer....I was thinking about venting the back of the chiller out thru the window and outside.....think that would help some? Do you think it would help the chiller performance? Also, do you think I need to turn the fans back on 24/7?

Thanks for the help

bstone
08/02/2007, 07:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10470201#post10470201 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rnelson
Well, I have 4 canopy fans that come on when the halides come on......I was running them 24/7 but was evaporating the heck out of it......

There is a window directly behind my tank......I'm currently taking outside air into my dual Beckett skimmer....I was thinking about venting the back of the chiller out thru the window and outside.....think that would help some? Do you think it would help the chiller performance? Also, do you think I need to turn the fans back on 24/7?

Thanks for the help

YES, vent the hot air away from your tank. It can short circuit and not cool the compressor enough causing it to work harder and less efficent. Also, have the fans pull the air out. Or, have two pushing and the other 2 pulling air. I vent my air outside, and my chiller is outside.

rnelson
08/02/2007, 10:36 PM
My chiller is in my cabinet although I've been leaving the door open lately and having a fan blow towards the chiller (from about 3' in front of the chiller). Which do you think would be more effective, getting a fan at the back of the chiller and blowing air away, or putting some kind of duct work on the back of the chiller and exhausting it out the window?

Also, what about the idea of another, smaller chiller?

This may be a dumb question....since the tank temp is now lower than it used to be, if I turn the fans back on 24/7, will I now evaporate any less water?