PDA

View Full Version : VHO t-5 question

schoch79
08/02/2007, 10:15 PM
I was just looking through my Dr. foster and smith magazine and saw some VHO T-5 bulbs. Can these be used properly on the "regular" T-5 setups and still put out the 85 watts instead of the 54 watts the HO bulbs do. Also are they any good? Maybe the temp is too hot, or something. Thanks. Also how can I expect them to perform compared to the regular 54 watt HO bulbs? I noticed that they are cheaper than all of the 54 watt bulbs. Is this any indication as to their worthiness in a reef aquarium? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dfs/la2
08/03/2007, 10:39 AM
Schoch79,

Great question! The T-5 HO Tubes can be used as replacement tubes for the Nova Extreme with Lunar Lights, the Nova Extreme, the Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED Lights, the T5-48 Deluxe Strip Light Fixture or used in conjunction with an IceCap Ballast, endcaps, and the IceCap T-5 Reflectors or any appropriate T-5 fluorescent light fixture. Use T-5 tubes with T-5 compatible light fixtures with high output electronic ballasts to help increase efficiency and tube life. Typically the bulbs have a 2 year life span and should not run warmer than the regular T-5’s.

However, the performance of the lights will only be as strong (wattage) as the ballast permits. The 85 watt bulbs will not overload the ballast, the ballast will only provide/fire the bulbs at the rating the ballast is capable of.

Ginger K.
Drs. Foster & Smith
LiveAquaria