PDA

View Full Version : Light aclimation of Yuma

coraladdiction
08/02/2007, 10:27 PM
I am looking for some advice on aclimation of wild Yuma. I have heard that the key to the more difficult colored wild Yumas is light aclimation. Several vendors have recommended zero light for at least the first week then slowly increasing light for several weeks. Also there is a question of flow during this time (low,med, or high). I am going with medium flow. This question is not about how to help a sick Yuma with low light low flow. I am asking about aclimating wild healthy Yuma straight off the plane from Indo so that they stay healthy. Also any thoughts on dipping. If so then what? I don't plan to, but thought I'd throw that question in as well.

I have many Yuma arriving tomorrow and believe I am prepared, but with Yuma I get stressed.

My experience is that once even the Pink Yuma get established they are hardy, but the first few weeks are the most critical. I stay stessed out watching their mouths every day.

I would love to hear from some of the Yuma gurus out there.

lokelani808
08/02/2007, 11:32 PM
low light. I started keeping mines in the shade for a whiles after receiving them and then my survival rate became 100%, coincidence or correlation?...hmm

kiknchikn
08/03/2007, 06:01 PM
I'd put them in as much shade as possible on the side of your tank away from direct light and in low flow. My yumas mostly HATE flow.

coraladdiction
08/05/2007, 10:35 PM
Well all 20 Yuma are settling in nicely. The picture does not do them justice. I was able to get a really nice variety of colors. Many hot pinks and Rainbows. Nothing boring. Rommel at Ultimatefrags.com really hooked me up! I took the chaeto out of a refugium of an established 75 gallon to use for the light aclimation. It has good steady medium to low flow and I'm able to turn the light off with out impacting any other corals in the tank above. They're sitting in the dark day 2. I have a 40 watt NO Actinic I turn on ocassionally to make them glow for the kids and to check their mouths. So far no signs of melting and most have completely closed their mouths. Only one still looks a little stressed and is gapping. I have tried to target feed but no response yet. I'll take better pictures latter.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/151225Assorted_Yuma.jpg

kiknchikn
08/05/2007, 10:43 PM
Looks great :D

I can't imagine what that lot cost you, especially with the pink ones in there. I'd kill for a damn pink one but I can't afford the $100+ they go for considering their track record of melting.

lokelani808
08/05/2007, 10:48 PM
need... more... pics...

:)

nice stuff, how come he doesn't post all his rics online?!?

coraladdiction
08/05/2007, 11:17 PM
He made a special Yuma order per my request. The ones he posted were the ones he kept. It wasn't cheap but he really came through on color and variety. I've been collecting Yuma for a while now and got tired of buying one at a time plus shipping. Where I live there is no local LFS with the good stuff. At first I kept loosing them and quit trying for a while. Then some one told me the secret is light aclimation. Since then my success rate has substantially improved. The reason for this thread is to share with others how I am doing it. Everyone seems so scared of the more exotic Yuma because of dollars and risk so I thought that light aclimation would make for a good thread. I haven't read much about it here. A lot of posts about melting Yuma.

BigScott
08/06/2007, 02:21 PM
sweet pic, id like to get in on the next order..hehehe but i got a good hook up..the only one ive ever had problems with was a lime green yuma, under PCs..since then no problems all mine are semi shaded..

scott

MalawianDude
08/07/2007, 09:17 AM
Just beautiful! Thanks for asking this question i was wondering same thing :) I have 20 wild rics coming tomorrow, am assuming be best to follow the same direction. Did you do any dipping?

coraladdiction
08/08/2007, 02:27 PM
I did not dip any of them. I now have them under 40 NO actinic for 8 hours. They all seem to be in good health. A few keep their mouths open more than normal, but after I feed the tank they close up. I have been feeding the tank Kent's Zoomax the last few days.