PDA

View Full Version : Clam & Shrimp Safe Triggers?

bassettmd
08/03/2007, 12:46 AM
I have kept a blue throat trigger for a time (but lost due to ich) and he did not seem to bother any of my clams or blood shimps. Question is, is this common? are there any other triggers out there that i could trust with my clam collection? Thanks in advance!

Hormigaquatica
08/03/2007, 01:13 AM
Most related triggers are considered safe. Once in a while you will get one that decides to nip at things, but by and large they leave sedentary animals alone. Blood shrimp are also likely to be safe since they rarely swim. On the other hand, if a shrimp decides to jump off the rocks and paddle about, he may be lunch. Ive also seen blue throats devour sally lightfoot crabs for no apparent reason.

(related species meaning Xanthichthys sp. triggers- blue throat, crosshatch, sargassum, goldenback...)

mattyice
08/03/2007, 05:12 AM
yes pretty much exactly what he said, the related species are just reef safe, i had a pair of bluethroats before i upgraded to my goldenback and my golden back is all in all abut twice the weight of the male bluethroat i had and he is a gentle giant, i hand feed him all the time actually and he follows me around the aquarium no matter what im doing, the only problem with him...i have to feed him about 2 whole silver sides and 3 whole table shrimp before he becomes nice and fat

i have kept all of my Xanthichthys sp. triggers with the following potential meals

-snails
-hermits
-crabs
-clams
-shrimp
-small fish

not one thing was eaten by any of them and my golden back is in my reef tank with my 7" gigas clam