PDA

View Full Version : New Reefer! Sparty's new 24gal Nanocube

SPARTAN VI
08/03/2007, 11:05 PM
tropicalfishoutlet.com got me almost everything I need to get started. Unfortunately, when I went out to get tubing for my chiller, I forgot to purchase 25 gallons of SW. D'oh!

Also on my shopping list:

- Surge protector
- API SW Test kit
- Thermometer

Would a gravel vac be necessary for a SW tank? I can't imagine it working well without sucking up all my LS.

Anything else I may/may not need for a new set up?

Now the pics!

24 gallon Nanocube w/ 150-watt HQI lamp
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/24nano.jpg

HQI lamp/canopy:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/HQIlamp2.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/HQIlamp.jpg

JBJ 1/20 HP chiller:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/chiller.jpg

Fiji liverock:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/fijiLR.jpg

Live sand:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/LS.jpg

I do have a heater, but forgot to snap a picture of it.

Couple of my Tiger barbs... teehee..
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/tigerbarbs.jpg

Really looking forward to being a nano reefer!

:rollface:

Tree6foot6
08/03/2007, 11:57 PM
Cant wait to see how everything comes togather

Good Luck! and keep us posted.

cherubfish pair
08/04/2007, 12:04 AM
How many HQI's? Almost looks like their is two.

SPARTAN VI
08/04/2007, 01:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10478708#post10478708 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by the cattleman
How many HQI's? Almost looks like their is two.

Just one, that must be the reflection.

Illuminati
08/04/2007, 09:31 AM
Nice looking setup, looks like your well on your way.

Interested to see how the chiller works for you and how you plumb it.

SPARTAN VI
08/04/2007, 04:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10479958#post10479958 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by colinadam
Nice looking setup, looks like your well on your way.

Interested to see how the chiller works for you and how you plumb it.

It's going to be very amateur, that's for sure. ;)

The tank is only going to sit on the counter there for a few months until we get new hard wood flooring in the family room. THEN my dad and I can get "fancy."

<edit>Little disappointed with the Fiji LR. I was hoping for 3 or so smaller pieces, not two huge chunks. Can't make the typical cave or underpass that the fish can swim under with two huge pieces.

Illuminati
08/04/2007, 06:23 PM
All you need is a hammer and chisel and you can break it up how you want it.

I personally have Marshall Island Live Rock in my tanks, by far the best shapes.

SPARTAN VI
08/04/2007, 07:49 PM
Well, having trouble with the plumbing. Can anyone recommend a good pump for the chiller? I picked up some $30 pump at the LFS, but it barely trickled water into my chiller.

Hmmm, wonder if I should've hosed down the LR before placing it in the tank. Looks like there's mud all over the place.

Anyhow, this is my cloudy tank just a couple hours after adding water.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/tank-1.jpg

The big black chunks on the bottom is the mud I was talking about.

Apachie
08/04/2007, 08:41 PM
lookin good
keep us informed

jlt23
08/04/2007, 11:44 PM
I use a MJ1200 for my nano chiller. I do have a separate pump for my chiller than my return. I haven't tried using the chiller pump for the return. Good luck.

SPARTAN VI
08/05/2007, 03:42 PM
Having trouble locating a Maxi-Jet 1200. Is that a submersible pump?

How about a Rio Plus? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4671&N=2004+113041

I'd have it pump through just under 10' of tubing. Is that what the "Max head" data is for?

NanoReefWanabe
08/05/2007, 05:15 PM
rio's have a generally bad reputation...from what i have heard...

yes a MJ1200 is a submersible pump/power head it can be used inline aswell. like in my Closed loop..

"Max Head" is the height above the pump, that the pump can pump water...the vertical lift...beyond this height the pump will fail...either burn out or shut off or just do nothing...

as head pressure goes up the flow rate goes down...ie a MJ1200 is rated for 295gph@1' and at 3' it is around 150gph...

as for horizontal..i believe that every 4' is equivalent to 1' vertical..

Max jet power heads will be found in most LFS with the smaller rios and koralia pumps...

or you can easily goggle it and buy one online...

jlt23
08/05/2007, 10:02 PM
Maxi-jets are generally considered a power head so that's maybe why you can't find them. You can order them here http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4609&N=2004+113040.

SPARTAN VI
08/05/2007, 10:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10489367#post10489367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jlt23
Maxi-jets are generally considered a power head so that's maybe why you can't find them. You can order them here http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4609&N=2004+113040.

Ah, thank you both.

As for the MJ1200, should I opt for the highest GPH? It'll be pumping through around 10' feet of tubing, going up and out of the tank, and a small vertical loop before it gets to the chiller (tubing is a little longer than it should be, but necessary when we move the tank).

Thanks!

jlt23
08/06/2007, 09:10 AM
My NC24 is on the JBJ stand with the chiller on the floor to the right. I have the MJ1200 in the third chamber and it pumps in to the chiller and all the way back to the third chamber. Works fine. You can't adjust the flow rate on the Maxi-jets. There's probably a better way of doing it than they way I have it plumbed, but it works. Good luck.

SPARTAN VI
08/06/2007, 02:01 PM
Awesome, order placed. :)

danoreef
08/07/2007, 01:54 PM
nice job. cant wait to see updates

ILM75Dodge
08/07/2007, 02:32 PM
Nice tank were running similar equipment let me know how it works out!! The chiller works great for my tank!!

SPARTAN VI
08/07/2007, 05:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10500672#post10500672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ILM75Dodge
Nice tank were running similar equipment let me know how it works out!! The chiller works great for my tank!!

Cool, how did you plumb your chiller? Did you use the jbj installation kit tubing, or buy your own tubing?

<edit> I've been out of town for the past few days. Well, since my set up actually. According to the parents, the tank has already cleared up, but they're reporting a feathery/web-like growth. I'm guessing they're describing hair algae.

Being this is only day 4, I'm not in a frantic rush to get rid of the pest... but would like to know what live stock I could add in the coming weeks to control this. If I remember correctly, some shrimp as well as surgeon fish eat hair algae (don't think 24g is enough for the latter, so I think shrimp will have to do).

Also put in an order for a couple more pieces of fiji LR. Just smaller pieces to stack on my larger ones.

ILM75Dodge
08/08/2007, 12:04 PM
I ended up using the JBJ installation kit just because it seemed like the simplest way to do it!

SPARTAN VI
08/08/2007, 01:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10507775#post10507775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ILM75Dodge
I ended up using the JBJ installation kit just because it seemed like the simplest way to do it!

Yeah, after buying some 20 ft of tubing, I'm starting to feel an itch to just buy the jbj kit. We'll see once the MJ1200 comes in. Thanks!

SPARTAN VI
08/13/2007, 07:24 PM
Major set back. After getting my MJ1200, I hooked it up to the unpowered chiller to make sure everything was working. Well, the MJ1200 works perfectly, but something was apparently leaking. I didn't see anything coming from the hoses, so it must be the chiller as water was trickling out of the bottom (the feet, I guess).

Made a nice mess of things. Good thing it was on tile.

Second problem, I got back from my vacation to find a ton of brown algae. I can only guess they're diatoms, even though my family's been turning the HQI lamp every morning, and turning it off every night. Should I just let it run its course and exhaust its supply?

Thanks!

Jamie1210
08/13/2007, 08:04 PM
Hi, I was wondering where you got your 150 watt light/canopy from? I love the closed top look, but the ones that I've seen are always open top.

thanks!
Jamie

SPARTAN VI
08/14/2007, 09:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10546901#post10546901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jamie1210
Hi, I was wondering where you got your 150 watt light/canopy from? I love the closed top look, but the ones that I've seen are always open top.

thanks!
Jamie

I purchased it from a coworker who owns Tropicalfishoutlet.com. One of reefcentral's sponsors. I don't believe he sells it on his website, but he was able to put this entire package together for me.

ILM75Dodge
08/14/2007, 12:51 PM
Did you get the chiller set up well? after the set backs?

SPARTAN VI
08/14/2007, 03:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10551634#post10551634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ILM75Dodge
Did you get the chiller set up well? after the set backs?

Hey Dodge,

Not sure I understand what you mean.

The chiller was not set up the entire week I was on vacation. When I got back home, I hooked up the MJ1200 and started running the water through the chiller where found that I was quickly losing water. I shut off the MJ1200, moved the chiller away from the area, and cleaned up the water spill on the floor. Now I have the chiller outside my house at an angle because it seems there's still some water inside.

I'm waiting to speak to my coworker to have the chiller replaced.

SPARTAN VI
08/17/2007, 05:26 PM
Well, it's been about two weeks and it's about overgrown with brown algae. So I figured I'd test my water parameters.

Last week, it was at 0 NH3, 0 NO2, and about 10 NO3. Last night, they were all at 0. What's going on? Wondering if I ever began the cycle... :)

Using the API liquid test kit.

SPARTAN VI
08/27/2007, 02:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10576572#post10576572 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SPARTAN VI
Well, it's been about two weeks and it's about overgrown with brown algae. So I figured I'd test my water parameters.

Last week, it was at 0 NH3, 0 NO2, and about 10 NO3. Last night, they were all at 0. What's going on? Wondering if I ever began the cycle... :)

Using the API liquid test kit.

Approaching one month now. Still don't have a working chiller, water reaches nearly 90F during the day with that bright lamp running. Have all sorts of growth on the rock and algae peeling off the back wall. Very vibrant green slime growing on the rock along with very light plant like algae and some red slime as well.

Will need an ID on these later so I'll post pictures asap.

REDDAWG43
08/27/2007, 03:23 PM
Where did you get the 24g w/ the MH hood?

johng723
08/27/2007, 04:26 PM
You can purchase the hood from any JBJ dealer online. I purchased mine through my LFS. I simply told them what it was, and they called up JBJ and special ordered it for me. Really a great hood but brings the temperature up a few degrees.

Ladipyg
08/27/2007, 11:19 PM
Turn off the lights...no need to run them if your just cycling the tank... If the live rock didn't have enough dead or dying stuff on it (adds ammonia to the tank to feed the bacteria that converts it to nitrate and then to nitrites) You can add a small piece of uncooked shrimp and let that begin to feed the bacteria. You can also buy the bacteria in a concentrated form to give the tank a real boost. Comes in both dried and liquid form. You have to have an ammonia spike for the tank to begin cycling...takes about a month if you add the booster and 5-6 weeks if you don't.
With your water temperature as high as it is without the chiller, it slows down the growth rate of the bacteria.
That being said, nice set up..lots of goodies...looks like your setting it up the correct way from the beginning and that is smart. Good luck..

unda_da_see
08/28/2007, 07:27 AM
did ya chisel up those 2 bowling balls ya got yet? you will get alot more surface area and be able to aquascape better. just wear saftey glasses or close your eyes when you swing the hammer. i suggset the prior:rollface:

SPARTAN VI
08/28/2007, 10:04 AM
Reddawg, I bought everything from the owner of tropicalfishoutlet.com a reefcentral sponsor. He doesn't normally sell these items, I just know him personally (coworker of mine) so he made a special arrangement for me.

Thanks Ladipyg, I still have a pouch of some BioSpira that I purchased for my FW tank. Maybe 2/3 left, refrigerated of course. Could this be used or is there a special SW version? I remember measuring nitrites and nitrates in the second week, unfortunately, I didn't record them at the time. Wonder what happened there.

Unda_da_see, I decided against breaking them up. I figured I'm pretty good about messing things up, didn't want to make the job any harder. Instead, I just replaced them further back in the tank as well as ordered two small pieces of fiji rock which I hope to place on top of these to cover up the back wall.

I took pictures of all the wierd goopy growth, will try to upload it this afternoon for an ID.

Ladipyg
08/28/2007, 10:52 AM
Spartan...there are 2 different versions...just read the label and see if it's compatible with SW. Also, make sure it's not too old...it lasts longer if kept in the fridge. I found Biozyme for Salt Water (in the red container) to be the best...very concentrated..you can add it at any time to give your tank a boost and cost wise it beats the others hands down. I always get mine from ThatFishPlace.com...

SPARTAN VI
08/28/2007, 12:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10652189#post10652189 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
Spartan...there are 2 different versions...just read the label and see if it's compatible with SW. Also, make sure it's not too old...it lasts longer if kept in the fridge. I found Biozyme for Salt Water (in the red container) to be the best...very concentrated..you can add it at any time to give your tank a boost and cost wise it beats the others hands down. I always get mine from ThatFishPlace.com...

My BioSpira is about a month old now and kept refrigerated. I'll look into Biozyme if I find my BioSpira is for FW only. Thanks, appreciate your help!

SPARTAN VI
11/20/2007, 01:08 AM
Well, a couple months later I figured I'd best update this thread. I barely got my replacement chiller and it's working nicely! No leaks! So over the past few weeks I've been stocking things up. Week one, I got a pair of perculas (true/false, no idea, LFS didn't specify).

One week later, parameters were still zero so my mom chose out a purple H. Crispa (maybe someone can ID in case LFS mislabeled). Percula's don't want anything to do with it right now, not holding my breath.

Checked parameters again a week later, zero's across the board so I picked up a Bangaii Cardinalfish and a Blue (yellow tail) Damselfish. Carefully observing the behavior of the Cardinal to find he wasn't eating. Not much I could do, he was dead two days later. Parameters still zero.. picked up a blue green damselfish... my mom thought it was pretty.

Fast forward to today (almost a week later), picked up another Blue Damselfish (mom likes blue!) and picked out a blue maxima clam.

Picture time!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/clamanenome.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/tank111907.jpg

It's night time, so the lights are all off. :)

There are two snails and 6 hermit crabs somewhere in there. That blue yellow tail damsels a big bully... kinda wish he wasn't so pretty otherwise I'd chuck him for picking on my other fish.

Gonna swing by the LFS in a few more weeks to start stocking coral. Any suggestions?

Ladipyg
11/20/2007, 02:41 AM
I do not want to rain on your parade but keep a close eye on the clam and anemone...they should not be added to a tank that's less than a year old. Your water parameters may be perfect, but there are subtle changes that take place in a tank for the first 12 months , changes that have nothing to do what you can see with a test kit. Keep up with the water changes and see how things go. Do not over feed the anemone or give it pieces of food that are very large...smaller is better. As far as corals go, depends on what you like...just remember to very carefully check over any corals for zoa or monti eating nudibranches or AEFW (acro eating flatworms) dipping helps, and examining the corals under a very high strength magnifying glass helps also. It allows you to see any egg strands or anything else the dip may have missed. I keep a magnifying glass near my tank and check out my colonies and frags on a regular basis so I don't get any bad surprises. Good luck and as hard as it is to do, go slow...now that the damsels are in the tank it is likely they will stake out the whole tank as their territory and be very hard on any other fish added after this.

SPARTAN VI
11/20/2007, 11:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11219898#post11219898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
I do not want to rain on your parade but keep a close eye on the clam and anemone...they should not be added to a tank that's less than a year old. Your water parameters may be perfect, but there are subtle changes that take place in a tank for the first 12 months , changes that have nothing to do what you can see with a test kit. Keep up with the water changes and see how things go. Do not over feed the anemone or give it pieces of food that are very large...smaller is better. As far as corals go, depends on what you like...just remember to very carefully check over any corals for zoa or monti eating nudibranches or AEFW (acro eating flatworms) dipping helps, and examining the corals under a very high strength magnifying glass helps also. It allows you to see any egg strands or anything else the dip may have missed. I keep a magnifying glass near my tank and check out my colonies and frags on a regular basis so I don't get any bad surprises. Good luck and as hard as it is to do, go slow...now that the damsels are in the tank it is likely they will stake out the whole tank as their territory and be very hard on any other fish added after this.

Oh noes, thanks for the heads up. Both the clam and the condy were kinda spur of the moment. Should have done my research.. I've been doing so well. I walk into the LFS for one thing, and walk out with another. So far I've been target feeding the anemone brine shrimp and it's happily accepting the small bits I've given it (no larger than few mm). If either of them perish, neither my wallet nor my heart will take a real hit.

I'll be doing a lot of research on corrals before I subject them to my rookie tank. :D

Ladipyg
11/20/2007, 11:43 AM
You could probably up grade to feeding the anemone some mysis shrimp and use some phylofeast for the clam.
As far as other things, the fact that you have a chiller that keeps the water at a stable temp is a big plus. For lots of color without breaking the bank zoas or any of the LPS corals can't be beat. Acans, blasto wellsi, favia, scolymia brains, enchino (chalices) and anyone in the Montipora family, digitia and caps would do well in your tank. You don't need huge colonies...go for frags and then have the satisfaction of watching them grow. I guess if you wanted an immediate impact of color, a couple of colonies wouldn't hurt.
I am not as concerned about your pocket book as much as the fact that an anemone or clam may die because you didn't do the research first. In the wild it's thought that anemone's may live for 100 years or more, but their populations in the wild are quickly being reduced due to collection for our hobby. Most hobbyists, myself included, feel extremely bad when an animal in our care dies. I usually do my research before I commit to buying an addition to my tank...make a list of what I'm looking for and what is compatible with the lights, size of the tank, etc. before I begin shopping. Put a couple of things on the list, just jot some notes for yourself and go from there, that way if they don't have the first thing on your list, they may have the second or third and you haven't given in to an impluse buy. Good luck.

SPARTAN VI
11/23/2007, 12:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11221617#post11221617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
You could probably up grade to feeding the anemone some mysis shrimp and use some phylofeast for the clam.
As far as other things, the fact that you have a chiller that keeps the water at a stable temp is a big plus. For lots of color without breaking the bank zoas or any of the LPS corals can't be beat. Acans, blasto wellsi, favia, scolymia brains, enchino (chalices) and anyone in the Montipora family, digitia and caps would do well in your tank. You don't need huge colonies...go for frags and then have the satisfaction of watching them grow. I guess if you wanted an immediate impact of color, a couple of colonies wouldn't hurt.
I am not as concerned about your pocket book as much as the fact that an anemone or clam may die because you didn't do the research first. In the wild it's thought that anemone's may live for 100 years or more, but their populations in the wild are quickly being reduced due to collection for our hobby. Most hobbyists, myself included, feel extremely bad when an animal in our care dies. I usually do my research before I commit to buying an addition to my tank...make a list of what I'm looking for and what is compatible with the lights, size of the tank, etc. before I begin shopping. Put a couple of things on the list, just jot some notes for yourself and go from there, that way if they don't have the first thing on your list, they may have the second or third and you haven't given in to an impluse buy. Good luck.

Cool, thanks for that. Looking up those LPS corals now.

Sorry if my statement sounded a bit ignorant. I'm really not as insensitive as I made myself out to be. :D I've had my share of heart ache and lost in my freshwater tank I set up earlier this year. Lost an oto, mickey mouse platy, and a tiger barb. All of which ruined my day, but the mickey mouse platy in particular was terrible. Coming home one day to find it dried up on my floor.. :(

I'm just a little irritated with myself and my family. Even though this is primarily my hobby, I try to include my family (my mother in particular). She loves going to the LFS with my and we both get smoothed talked by the owner into getting what she wants. The Blue Devil Damselfish and the Condy were colorful.. Shouldn't take it out on them though. I'll likely be returning the Condy this weekend. It looks to be in better shape in my care than it was at the LFS though. After this though, I'll hold off getting another anemone for another 6 months or so. Keep reading that a mature tank is recommended.

Ladipyg
11/23/2007, 01:26 PM
If it's in good shape...keep it...if you are dedicated to it's care and keep up with water changes there is no need to return it to the LFS...it will probably get better care with you. Just keep an eye on it, your lighting is more than enough and the age of the tank is a quide line...not written in stone. Keep the salinity stable..I think you have an auto top off, so you are really ahead of the game. Feed it chunkier pieces of food and you can soak them in selcon to add more nutrition.
The problem with the Damsel fish is that it will consider the whole tank it's territory and adding any other fish will be difficult because damsel can be very aggressive. If you have a sand bed, pearly or yellowheaded jawfish can be a nice addition...they have a lot of personality. You could at 2 at the same time and not have a problem.
Keep the Condy...I think you can do it...let us know how it goes..I like the up dates.
Hope you had a nice Turkey Day...

SPARTAN VI
11/23/2007, 01:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11240486#post11240486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
If it's in good shape...keep it...if you are dedicated to it's care and keep up with water changes there is no need to return it to the LFS...it will probably get better care with you. Just keep an eye on it, your lighting is more than enough and the age of the tank is a quide line...not written in stone. Keep the salinity stable..I think you have an auto top off, so you are really ahead of the game. Feed it chunkier pieces of food and you can soak them in selcon to add more nutrition.
The problem with the Damsel fish is that it will consider the whole tank it's territory and adding any other fish will be difficult because damsel can be very aggressive. If you have a sand bed, pearly or yellowheaded jawfish can be a nice addition...they have a lot of personality. You could at 2 at the same time and not have a problem.
Keep the Condy...I think you can do it...let us know how it goes..I like the up dates.
Hope you had a nice Turkey Day...

I did, everything was delicious! Hope you had a nice one too. :)

Recently the condy's moved to the back of the tank behind the LR. Kinda flushed the blue damsel out of his "lair."

I was hoping to fill up the vertical space. As you can see, the LR I have isn't the best for aquascaping... I've been looking at phishybusiness.com's selection of LR and a few caught my eye. Only problem is I'm not sure I want to mix different types of LR. Currently have two hulking chunks of Fiji LR in there. Any recommendations?

Ladipyg
11/23/2007, 03:34 PM
Mix..you'll like the look and diversity...Also if you don't like the big chunks of LR you have, take a hammer to it...

SPARTAN VI
11/23/2007, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11241050#post11241050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
Mix..you'll like the look and diversity...Also if you don't like the big chunks of LR you have, take a hammer to it...

If you say so! :) I'll keep shopping then!

I thought about hammering it out. But I have terrible luck with things like that. I guess if I smash things up too bad, I could also use the pieces to replace the bioballs.

Cluckr7
11/25/2007, 07:43 AM
Hey, I like your tank. Pretty nice setup, especially for a beginner.

I would definitely take out the bioballs. They're more for freshwater tanks. They're pretty much a nitrate and phosphate (both are bad) farm, plus they're useless as a bio-filter if you have rock and sand.

Make sure you keep up with regular water changes. The clam you have uses calcium to build its shell, and your calcium levels will continually deplete. Have to keep it high with regular water chages.

Nice tank!

Ladipyg
11/25/2007, 11:06 AM
Use a chisel and hammer...you can control the area you want to break better that way. You can even get base rock at the pet shop and give it a good cleaning and soak in salt water and put that in your tank. It doesn't take long for it to become live rock. Especially since you already have some live rock in your tank. And if you break up some of the larger pieces of live rock, you can inter-mix it with the base rock and it will be live rock in no time. You can also ask the LFS in your area if you can buy some rock rubble from the bottom of their live rock tanks...you could use this instead of bio balls in the back compartment and have a better bio filter. Also, if you lighting reaches the rear compartment of the tank, add some chaeto there on top of the rock rubble. Added export of nutrients.

Ladipyg
11/25/2007, 11:10 AM
Here is a full tank shot of my tank before I decided I needed a larger one...It was a JBJ nano cube 28 gallon, lighting 1 250-15,000K Aqua Medic pendant.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68245full_nano_tank_view.bmp

chriis716
11/25/2007, 11:48 PM
keep up the good work, it's looking great!!

SPARTAN VI
11/27/2007, 12:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11249724#post11249724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cluckr7
Hey, I like your tank. Pretty nice setup, especially for a beginner.

I would definitely take out the bioballs. They're more for freshwater tanks. They're pretty much a nitrate and phosphate (both are bad) farm, plus they're useless as a bio-filter if you have rock and sand.

Make sure you keep up with regular water changes. The clam you have uses calcium to build its shell, and your calcium levels will continually deplete. Have to keep it high with regular water chages.

Nice tank!

Thanks! But I'm so embarrassed with my aquascaping though. My 10g FW tank looks so much nicer (I've had that one a few months longer though). I have 3 or so plants in it and have a nice slate rock formation.

I haven't set up my RO/DI filter yet, and still need salt mix and a huge bucket, so I've been purchasing premixed salt water at my LFS for $5 for 5 gallons. It's exhausting and gets my mustang's trunk all damp... so I'll be mixing my own soon.

I've been using Kent's Calcium liquid supplement for the clam. Researching the corals that Ladipyg recommended, so I may be getting iodine (sp?) soon. Currently looking at some zoa frags. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11250633#post11250633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
Here is a full tank shot of my tank before I decided I needed a larger one...It was a JBJ nano cube 28 gallon, lighting 1 250-15,000K Aqua Medic pendant.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68245full_nano_tank_view.bmp

Oh my, THATS a nano reef I'd like to have! I'll see if I can purchase some rock to replace the bioballs. I'd really rather not remove the LR I have in there now. I'm so certain I'll mess things up! Getting rid of the bioballs ASAP.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Here are a couple more pics!

Fishies:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/clowns.jpg

Condylactis:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/anemone.jpg

The Condylactis has since moved to the back of the tank behind my rocks but still in the light. Wonder why it moved back there... the current was stronger when it was up in front. Began target feeding it mysis shrimp as per ladipyg's recommendations.

I also noticed that one of my clowns has stringy white poop. I did some research and found that it may be due to internal parasites. However, I also noticed that this same clown has his been swimming around with his mouth slightly open. I see that he's able to open and close it a bit when he's eating (and he does eat) but it doesn't look completely healthy.

My sister swears she sees something white on the inner bottom lip. When researching this I found that its a somewhat common "wound" when a clownfish attempts to clean its host (seems most common when its host is frogspawn). My little guy hasn't been hosting anything, AFAIK, but perhaps he touched the Condylactis with his mouth?

To treat the parasites I soaked their brine shrimp with garlic powder for a few minutes. I'll see how he is when I get home from work tonight.

scottydo
11/27/2007, 05:43 PM
Nice turnaround - looks great

SPARTAN VI
11/28/2007, 10:46 AM
The clownfish with the open mouth seems to be well again. Whatever was on his lip is almost completely gone, but it never stopped him from eating anyway.

Only immediate problem I have left is the fact that the Blue Yellowtail Damselfish keeps biting at my Blue Damselfish's tail. Poor guy had about 1/3 of his tail fin chewed off.. :(

Ladipyg
11/28/2007, 01:44 PM
take the yellow tail out...if you have a sump put him in the sump for a couple of days...the yellowtails are one of the most aggressive damselfish and you do not have enought rock to make small nooks and crannies as hiding places. Just go ahead and take a hammer to those bolders...you will not turn them into gravel, trust me, you have to really whack them to get them to break. It will allow you have more surface area for nitrifying bactera to colonize and allow more hiding places for your fish when you get it set up.

SPARTAN VI
11/28/2007, 02:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11272662#post11272662 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
take the yellow tail out...if you have a sump put him in the sump for a couple of days...the yellowtails are one of the most aggressive damselfish and you do not have enought rock to make small nooks and crannies as hiding places. Just go ahead and take a hammer to those bolders...you will not turn them into gravel, trust me, you have to really whack them to get them to break. It will allow you have more surface area for nitrifying bactera to colonize and allow more hiding places for your fish when you get it set up.

You almost got me convinced, I just need a way to get the condy to let go of one of the rocks. :)

Ladipyg
11/28/2007, 11:02 PM
Point a power head at it or take the rock and hold it upside down with the condy's head in the water and the foot out....it should let go in short order...good luck...

SPARTAN VI
12/01/2007, 09:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11276463#post11276463 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
Point a power head at it or take the rock and hold it upside down with the condy's head in the water and the foot out....it should let go in short order...good luck...

aaAAaahh! I'll give that a try.

I had to pick up the rocks last night so the yellow tail damsel couldn't hide. Took him back to the LFS I bought him at, got store credit for $2.00, and bought myself a Firefish.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/clownsfirefish.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/firefish2.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/clowns2.jpg

He was a little spooked at first and wouldn't come out from behind the rocks. But this morning I find him swimming all over the place. No yellow tail damsel to bully him around. Everyone seems so calm now. :)

Ladipyg
12/01/2007, 09:37 PM
EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!

SPARTAN VI
12/01/2007, 09:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11295909#post11295909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!

Haha thanks. My best decision had to be getting rid of that yellow tail. He was too much trouble..

Doing research on some wrasses now.. don't want a typical six line though.

SaltwaterChris
12/03/2007, 02:04 PM
The four line is a little prettier than the six.Love the pic of your condylactis in the middle of the big rocks:cool:

Ladipyg
12/03/2007, 02:31 PM
Think Fairy wrasse...beautiful colors and they stay small....

SPARTAN VI
12/03/2007, 03:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11305357#post11305357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltwaterChris
The four line is a little prettier than the six.Love the pic of your condylactis in the middle of the big rocks:cool:

Yeah! Looks like eerie blue flame.

I like the four line more than the six, too. The shades of blue/green will add more color variety.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11305573#post11305573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ladipyg
Think Fairy wrasse...beautiful colors and they stay small....

Oh yes! That's more like what I'm looking at right now. That and the different flashers.

I don't have my regular night class tonight, so I may take a whack at one of the rocks. I don't want to break apart the one on the left just yet because my firefish spends most of his time hiding behind it. I'm afraid I'll stress him out further by sticking my hand in there, yanking out a rock, then piling them back in later. :(

SPARTAN VI
12/06/2007, 09:14 PM
Picked up some green mushrooms on Monday evening.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/mushroom.jpg

Hermit comes in to investigate:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/hermit.jpg

While I was at the LFS, I asked the owner to pick up a flame angel for me. He goes to his supplier every Thursday, called him up today, and he had two!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/flameangel.jpg

Dang he was camera shy! Took me forever to get a picture that wasn't TOO blurry.

And here's the tank today.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/tank120607.jpg

Two boulders still there. :p

martinphillip03
12/06/2007, 10:04 PM
How is the clam doing

Marty

unda_da_see
12/07/2007, 07:08 AM
firefish like to have a bolt hole to sleep in and to go into when they get scared, like when that blue devil starts harrassing it! time to break those rocks!!!

SPARTAN VI
12/07/2007, 10:16 AM
Clam's doing well, got toppled over by a snail the other day; found him faced down in the sand. Flipped him back up and left him in the sand. Happy as a clam since. Flame Angel hasn't taken a liking to him so far, hope it stays that way.

The Firefish found a hiding spot like you described on the left side of my tank behind the lr. As soon as the lights go off in the evening, he bolts to that spot. The blue damselfish is very peaceful actually. He used to be constantly harassed by the yellow tail damsel, until I got rid of him. Now the clownfish chase him away anytime he gets close to the left side of the tank. Everyone leaves the flame angel and the firefish alone.

SaltwaterChris
12/11/2007, 01:38 PM
WOW the red on the flame is AWESOME really bright nice fish:D

SPARTAN VI
12/11/2007, 05:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11362422#post11362422 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltwaterChris
WOW the red on the flame is AWESOME really bright nice fish:D

He definitely steals the show when visitors take a look at my tank. I'm looking to zoanthids now, I have a feeling I'm already pushing it with 5 fish, so I'll concentrate on corals and keeping the condy happy. The condy has since moved under the powerhead on the right, he's turning tan/brown now, guessing that's just the zooxanthellae cultures in its body building back up.

Devtech
12/11/2007, 06:25 PM
you shouldnt worry about the flame angel takign liking to your corals or clam really, their one of the best angels to exist in any reef tank if u ask me mines been a model citizen in the 90 reef i have.

is there no yellow on that flame angel?! ive been looking for one of those for a while i dont like the ones that have those yellow lines even though mines has it i want a different one for my 34gal nano im starting.

racksteris
12/11/2007, 08:48 PM
nice tank.

SPARTAN VI
12/11/2007, 08:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11364464#post11364464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Devtech
you shouldnt worry about the flame angel takign liking to your corals or clam really, their one of the best angels to exist in any reef tank if u ask me mines been a model citizen in the 90 reef i have.

is there no yellow on that flame angel?! ive been looking for one of those for a while i dont like the ones that have those yellow lines even though mines has it i want a different one for my 34gal nano im starting.

No, there's no yellow on my flame angel's tale, as far as I can tell. Had my LFS guy pick it up when he went to his supplier, so I'm not sure where he got it. :)

I swung by the LFS today and picked up s'more rock. Just under 10lbs of cured fiji lr. Smashed one of the pieces in two, but after I had already made a couple handfuls of small stones. Threw out the bio balls and replaced them with the smashed pieces. I'm guessing I have over 40lbs of LR in there now, but much more satisfied now that I've filled up some vertical space. Will take pictures when I have a chance.

Thanks racksteris! :D

Oh and here's a picture a friend took of my flame angel:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/theabuja/Jons%20fish/002.jpg

SPARTAN VI
12/11/2007, 10:40 PM
Okay, took some pictures.

Entire tank as of 10 minutes ago:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/tank1210073.jpg

Macro picture of a snail:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/snail.jpg

Entire tank again:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/tank1210072.jpg

Fishies are using their new tunnels/hiding places:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/clownangelmush.jpg

Some of my mediocre aquascaping skills:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/tank121007.jpg

Clownfish and mushroom:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/clownmushrooms.jpg

SPARTAN VI
12/16/2007, 04:51 PM
Added a Yellow Watchman Goby and zoas this past weekend:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/watchmangoby2.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/zoanthids.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/zoanthids3.jpg

martinphillip03
12/16/2007, 06:22 PM
Would a pistol shrimp go good with that goby?

Marty

racksteris
12/16/2007, 07:29 PM
Love the fish's..

msudawgs56
12/16/2007, 08:25 PM
tagging along...looking good

SPARTAN VI
12/17/2007, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11398351#post11398351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by martinphillip03
Would a pistol shrimp go good with that goby?

Marty

Thinking about it, haven't done the research to know if they'd possibly pair up.

Looking to acquire a sexy anemone shrimp, though. My dad became interested when I told him how it got its name, now he wants to see it. Hard to find though, my LFS guy has gone to two suppliers and they're out or didn't stock them to begin with.

SPARTAN VI
12/20/2007, 10:10 AM
Updates! Traded my condy for an RBTA among a few other additions.

So thrilled that my watchman goby has taken up residence in the tiny cave I carefully exposed on the right:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/clamfeathergoby.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/tank121907.jpg

This is the RBTA on day 3:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/rbta5.jpg

new_world_disor
12/20/2007, 01:52 PM
wow. that last pic looks amazing. love the scaping. good choice of fish. seems to be doing really well.

ad

SPARTAN VI
12/22/2007, 06:32 PM
Snapping some pics with my new Rebel XT:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/tank122107.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/500/watchmangoby4.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/500/clowns6.jpg

I'll eventually get the hang of this thing!

martinphillip03
12/22/2007, 09:38 PM
Aren't you afraid of the RBTA sooner or later eating your fish, other than the clowns? Nice RBTA

Marty

SPARTAN VI
12/23/2007, 02:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11441707#post11441707 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by martinphillip03
Aren't you afraid of the RBTA sooner or later eating your fish, other than the clowns? Nice RBTA

Marty

Not at all. They did a good job of avoiding the Condylactis, I think they do the same with the RBTA. The condylactis was actually much more "sticky" in comparison to the RBTA, I almost have to shove a silverside into a couple of its tentacles before it gets a firm grip. If someone ever gets stung, they'll probably be out of there before they're in the RBTA's vice grip.

gimme09
12/23/2007, 03:06 AM
Spartan... great pics and very nice looking tank. Ive been doing my research and following your timeline gave me a smile of the future success of purchasing a nano reef tank.

WM15
12/23/2007, 11:42 AM
are your clowns showing any intrest in the RBTA yet?

SPARTAN VI
12/24/2007, 01:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11444110#post11444110 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WM15
are your clowns showing any intrest in the RBTA yet?

Not that I've seen, no. Crossing my fingers!

One might have been rubbing up against it as I've noticed it had a darker pigment on its bottom, almost black:

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/502/clowns10.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/502/clowns111.jpg

and here's a picture my dad got of the elusive blue damsel:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/bluedamsel2.jpg

The above three pictures were all taken by my father with his Rebel XT.

zma21
12/24/2007, 10:08 AM
Very crisp pictures!

I'm in love with those zoa's. (and everything else in your tank)

I'm a zoa collector though. :p

SPARTAN VI
12/31/2007, 08:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11449039#post11449039 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zma21
Very crisp pictures!

I'm in love with those zoa's. (and everything else in your tank)

I'm a zoa collector though. :p

Then I got more pictures for you!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/zoanthids4.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/zoanthidsblue.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/flameangel3.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/clowns17.jpg

SPARTAN VI
11/30/2009, 12:08 PM
So over the past two years, I've boomeranged back home from college and found my family's taken decent care of the tank. STopped by every few weekends to perform maintenance; no way in hell my parents would do the water changes. Tank crashed in April, which was just in time for my return.

Since my last post, the RBTAs have split, split, and split again, running around and stinging or eating anything that wasn't a clownfish. Pretty much turned into a RBTA species tank at this point. Look at the OP then look at the below images to see the survivors. YWG, firefish, and Dwarf Angel either starved or were eaten, can't really tell being absent for so long. A fourth RBTA sat right on top of my hammer coral, killing it incredibly fast.

Decided I'd like to bring a jawfish or tailspot blenny into the mix at some point, but 2 of these RBTAs have got to go. Definitely can't do LPS with this many RBTAs around. Anyhow, here are pictures of my recovering but still somewhat bleached RBTAs.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/Nano%20Reef/FTS112909.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/Nano%20Reef/clowns112909.jpg

Same center RBTA from about 1-2 months ago:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/Nano%20Reef/clownfish_101409.jpg

Fourth RBTA roamed so much, I had to save it from the overflow one night:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/SPARTANVI/Nano%20Reef/RBTAsplit.jpg

cody6766
11/30/2009, 12:20 PM
Are the BTAs bleached out or is that the flash from your camera? They look really pale. That could be a concern for the long term health of the nems. The multiple splits could be from bleaching stress or bad water stress. You may want to make sure that's all under control before adding new fish.

SPARTAN VI
11/30/2009, 12:53 PM
Are the BTAs bleached out or is that the flash from your camera? They look really pale. That could be a concern for the long term health of the nems. The multiple splits could be from bleaching stress or bad water stress. You may want to make sure that's all under control before adding new fish.

Definitely bleached, as stated when I came home around April-May I found the tank had crashed. One good thing about having a bunch of mini-brittle stars is, presumably, they eat up tons of detritus. However, one thing goes wrong and it's just a cascading effect of death as they instantly foul the water.

Turns out in midst of summer, the chiller which sounded and looked like it was working... wasn't. My parents nor I never thought to look at the temperatures, but when I came home I noticed it was just about 90F! For the next few weeks, as I awaited repairs on the chiller, I had a fan blowing over the water and was doing WC every few days trying to stabilize the tank. RBTAs didn't start inflating again until I got the chiller repaired and hooked up again.

What you see in the first two pictures are bleached but browning RBTAs. The third is the same center RBTA that was badly bleached, but taken around July.