PDA

View Full Version : PVC Glue Question

NCC-1701
08/04/2007, 08:00 AM
How long does the PVC cement and primer need to dry / cure before placing the piping in service to the reef tank?

asm481
08/04/2007, 08:11 AM
Best to wait an hour or so but can (and I have) used it in minutes from bond.

BlakDuc
08/04/2007, 09:08 AM
I have useed within a couple of minutes, but it is best to wait until the odor is gone I believe. This is a pretty good indication that all of the solvents that are used in the glue have evaporated.

Roamer
08/04/2007, 04:46 PM
Generally, the pat answer from the glue manufacture' will be 24 hours. Of course, I tend to fit into the 1 hour crowd myself. We are NOT using these things under high head pressures (100-120 psi) like they might see in there "normal" application, so we do not need 100% of the maximum strength to be safe.

My dad used to repair any broken sprinkler heads and they got as much time to cure as it took him to carry the glue and primer back to the shop and then turn the water back on... I can't say I would recommend that short a wait, as he DID have at least one failure that I know about. I think he waited an additional time after he rerepaired that one!

If my memory was correct, it was the amount of time it took him to go inside and get a beer out of the fridge...

NCC-1701
08/05/2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks great feedback. The plumbing is on a skimmer return which will have very little pressure on it.
However, I was also concerned about any chemicals that might leach into the water from the primer and cement.