PDA

View Full Version : Are 65 watt power compacts going to be enough???

jwb0126
08/04/2007, 12:29 PM
What's up guys, I finally got my tank up and running and am getting ready to add lighting. I have a 55gal and right now all that's on it is two 15 watt regular old petsmart flourescents. Of course I want to go with metal halides, but I'm still in college and can't foot out the cash for the lights themselves, much less the addition to the power bill. I've been looking around ebay and have found several 48" 4x65watt power compact setups for just over a hundred bucks. The ones that I'm looking at have two true actinics and two 10000k daylight bulbs. They also have the moonlight LED's built in.

I know that whatever I get is going to be a step up from what I have, but is this going to provide enough light and power to keep most inverts and corals?

Also, does anybody know anything about these particular lights made by Jebo? (website listed below)

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-LIGHT-48-JEBO-260-POWER-COMPACT-W-FANS-LEGS_W0QQitemZ250148551041QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250148551041

Thanks!!!

snulma1
08/04/2007, 01:00 PM
4x65w PC will not be enough for hard corals such as SPS, but you should be able to keep most softies with that. However, if you are fairly mechanically challenged, you can build a retro lighting setup for a little more money. And even look at MH's. Keep an eye on the for sale forums!

As for the jebo/oddysea fixtures. I own one, with the MH and I love it.

theatrus
08/04/2007, 01:35 PM
I had a Jebo 4x65W PC light and hated it. :)