PDA

View Full Version : Octopus

DaltonJames
08/04/2007, 05:08 PM
im thinking of getting an Octopus .. i will put in a 55 gallon with nothing in the tank but LR and LS . will the Octopus be ok in a 55 or should i get a 120.. i mean i would just like to have the 55 but opnly if i need to i will get the 120

kathainbowen
08/04/2007, 05:57 PM
Octopus are very sensitive animals to water quality, and rather short lived, as well (usually living to be a max of 2 to 3 years old in captivity if all things go well). Many are noted for escaping, and others have been known to get torn apart by discovering filters. Remember, octopus are highly intelligent animals when it comes to opening things, as well as able to squeeze through even tiny openings (*if their beak can fit through it, it's likely the body can fit through, too, and their beaks are tiny in the smaller ones you find in LFSs) They're not to be considered anything near an easy, or newbie-worthy pet. I just really wouldn't recommend octopus or cuttlefish for newbies; it's just a hard animal to keep, even for experienced keepers.

However, if you're really interested in keeping an octopus or cuttlefish, I highly recommend taking it to the cephalopod forum.

Just remember to let sleeping dogs lie about the blue ring octopus. It should only be attempted by expert keepers, and, even then, with extreme caution. While octopus are generally skittish animals, the blue ring is fatally venomous. Asking about keeping a blue ring is a moot point, since most LFSs are smart enough to refuse to carry or sell them, and it just starts arguments.

Percula9
08/04/2007, 07:01 PM
The obove advice is right, I suggest you take it.

JMCAquarium
08/05/2007, 12:03 AM
my father has blue ring he has kept for 2 years now very pretty and deadly. the test the man has to do on a daily basis to keep him heathly isn't worth it to me that and the cost of food he buys him hermie crabs and assorted shelled creatures to dine on weekly. You must have a air tight top as well or you will not have amn octopus for very long. I wouldn't keep either
Jonathan

Young Frankenstein
08/05/2007, 05:14 AM
I would not get one, since my previous experience with them was very dramatic :( They are always hiding.