PDA

View Full Version : tunze wave box

steve the plumb
08/04/2007, 07:30 PM
I finally got my tank its an acrylic tank 96x30x24.I have a center overflow its exactly in the center of the tank.The thing is the tank has a good 6 " bracing all around the tank and then it has 3 openings on top to place your hands inside.From the bottom of the overflow teeth it looks like I have about 1 1/2" of space before I hit the top of the tank.Do you think this is enough space that I can use a wave box?Would I have to lower the water level so it gives me a chance to use the wave boxhttp://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z47/stevetheplumb/overflow006.jpg

steve the plumb
08/04/2007, 07:32 PM
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z47/stevetheplumb/overflow005.jpg

steve the plumb
08/04/2007, 07:33 PM
If you can see in the pick I don't have that much room.I am thinking I will cause a flood

steveo32
08/05/2007, 07:15 AM
Steve thank you for asking this question as I too am in the same perdicament.

Aquadepot
08/05/2007, 08:06 AM
Guys,

You are safe unless the aquarium is full to the very top edge, this is a large aquarium for a single Wavebox I have run a a Wavebox on the same size aquarium for the last few years and the maximum wave I can acheive without an extension box is approx half inch at the surface but the effect in the aquarium is very natural wave.

Regards
Graeme

steve the plumb
08/05/2007, 08:07 AM
Yes this is my first Acrylic tank and I didn't think I would have this short a distance from the top of the tank.I measured again and its 1" from the bottom of the teeth to the top of the tank.I have ordered an ocm 8 way witch should look nice but I also wanted a wavebox.I could cut down the teeth but I don't want to do that to a brand new tank and maybe risk cracking the overflow.I also don't want to spend $600 for a wavebox that I can't get the full function on.It may not be worth it for a 1" wave.

Aquadepot
08/05/2007, 08:28 AM
Steve,

The wave effect in the aquarium is very noticable even with less then half inch at the surface. If you get the chance to see a Wavebox in action on an aquarium you would have a better idea of the wave at the bottom maybe someone else can give some feed back with experience.

The size of the wave at the surface is not so important its the motion created in the aquarium that results.

Cheers
Graeme

Aquadepot
08/05/2007, 08:33 AM
Steve,

The Wave in the centre of the aquarium at the overflow will be close to zero due to the seesaw effect.

Cheers
Graeme
I am sure Roger can give you more info as acrylic aquariums in Oz are rare we are are 99.9% glass.

steve the plumb
08/05/2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks I didn't know what to expect.I have seen the wavebox in action on video.I have also seen it at an lfs on a 6 ft tank.I didn't know if it was cranked up.I wasn't looking for a big wave I was looking for that back and forth swell that you get fro the ocean current.I am also going to use and ocean motions 8 way for more flow

Aquadepot
08/06/2007, 08:57 AM
Steve,

From experience in my retail store on the same size aquarium you will get a very nice back and forth sway in this size aquarium with minimual wave at the surface.

Cheers
Graeme

rvitko
08/06/2007, 10:54 AM
You can turn down the wave, I would however have at a minimum 1.25" from the standing water surface to the edge of the tank to contain splashes.

steve the plumb
08/06/2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks Roger.The edge of the tank is covered since the tank is basically a box with 3 holes on top.If its going to splash just in the corners of the tank I may be able to get a nicer wave since I can contain the splash.I was just thinking what kind of wave will I get with only 1 inch from the bottom teeth to the top of the tank.If I leave the water level to low will I get a sloshing sound or will I get less water going into the overflow.Is a 1 " to 1 1/2" wave going to do anything to a tank of this size.I don't care about the wave I am looking for that crazy flow look that you see on other peoples tanks.

rvitko
08/06/2007, 11:16 AM
Is the overflow in the middle of the tank?

steve the plumb
08/06/2007, 11:31 AM
Yes it is.I tried to get a better pic but its hard. The overflow is exactly center of the tank at 4 ft and its 15' long 5' wide.

rvitko
08/06/2007, 02:58 PM
I think you should be fine, center overflows create the least noise and give the best effect.

steve the plumb
08/06/2007, 03:14 PM
yes thanks Roger I hopeI be able to have a decent wave(movement)because of the height.This is my first acrylic tank and I thought it was strange that the overflow was so high and that the tank was mostly closed in.I am just starting to get used to the look of the tank.I have always had glass tanks.How will the wavebox sit at the edge of the tank?I will have to use the magnets plus how much does it have to stick out of the water and because of the 6" border that I have around the top of the tank will I be able to access the unit or do I have to cut the top of where the wave box will be located.http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z47/stevetheplumb/overflowholes011.jpg

steve the plumb
08/06/2007, 03:16 PM
this is the tank the white parts are the covers for the tank openings.It a bit hard to tell.http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z47/stevetheplumb/300galtank007.jpg

rvitko
08/06/2007, 04:01 PM
I would just use 2 magnet holders, 3/4" of the wavebox needs to be above the waterline, you don't need an access holes as you can just pull it out for service.

steve the plumb
08/06/2007, 07:27 PM
the wavebox has to be 3/4" above the waterline or the whole unit( the top 3/4 of it) has to be above the water line.I am thinking the wavebox has to be 3/4 of an inch above the water line.Sorry was a bit confused

rvitko
08/07/2007, 09:09 AM
The top 3/4" has to be above the water line.