PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Algae

gopens
08/04/2007, 08:57 PM
I have millions and millions of tiny bubbles all over my sand and live rock. i think this is bubble algae because if i let the bubbles sit for a day or so, it turns into a bubbly type jelly. i am constantly take a plastic rod and knocking of the bubbles on the rcok and stiring the sand. i am useing tap water. can this be the problem. what else can i do. i ordered my rodi unit from The Filter Guys yesterday (ocean reef +1). i plan on doing many water changes when i get my rodi unit. but until than, whats going on in my tank. my fish and corals seem fine with this. infact my clowns have been spawning on a regular pattern for the last couple of months, so something must be right in the tank. my tank has been running a bit warm (about 81-82 degrees). thanks for the help. K/

T Man
08/04/2007, 10:17 PM
What you are describing sounds like Dinoflagellates, a definate water quality issue (phosphates). The ro/di unit along with water changes will help, you might want to consider keeping the lights off for at least three days also as they are photosynthetic. TinMan

IslandCrow
08/04/2007, 10:51 PM
Yeah, that doesn't sound like bubble algae (Valonia and similar genera). Bubble algae typically only grows on hard surfaces, like rocks and sometimes glass. It's also very tough to dislodge, so if you're just knocking them off, it's probably something else. And yes, tap water is usually a source of algae problems. Distilled or RO water from the grocery store is usually an acceptable alternative while you're waiting for you RO/DI unit.