PDA

View Full Version : ways to feed calcium reactor.

dmilne85
08/04/2007, 09:13 PM
Right now i currently have a koralline calcium reactor that is fed by a 1/4 airline tubing run by a aqualifter pump and the pump is constantly getting clogged slowly and messing up my adjustments that took so long to figure out. so i want to find a better alternative, what else do you calcium reactors use besides a gravity siphon.

i hear you can feed a 1/4 line off a return line, and valve it back. for those who have done that, what pvc/or other parts do o need to do so.
Also is there any other pumps that would work that are not going to break the bank, such as a litermeter.

thanks in advance

Treg
08/04/2007, 09:34 PM
Mines fed from my Hammer Head return pump.

From the Hammerr head I have it stepped down to a 3/8" threaded female fitting then a 3/8" male threaded push (John Guest) fitting. I have a couple ball valves inbetween the pump and calcium reactor.

dmilne85
08/04/2007, 09:54 PM
hmmm ok seems like a good plan, what are those exact parts called, and does a place like marine depot carry them? im horrible at figuring out pluming parts when they are not right in front of me.

Treg
08/04/2007, 10:41 PM
You can probably get what you need at lowes.

Lowes calls them "Push Fittings"

We reefers call them John Guest.

Then what ever your plumbing is, 1" or 3/4" or what ever... just step it down.

JG fittings (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=johnguest2)

dmilne85
08/05/2007, 12:06 AM
ok, cool. yeah i have a 1" return line. guess i will have to make a trip there. unfort, my town is getto and the homedepot doesnt carry much of anything thats specialized, so i have to go to ace homeco, which also has a limited selection