PDA

View Full Version : using concrete blocks in sump

KurtsReef
08/05/2007, 10:22 AM
As I am setting up my sump today, I thought of building a make-shift stand including some concrete blocks to hold the refugium over the sump instead of next too it. Can anyone think of a negative too this? Does concrete leach something that would be harmful?

Neptune777
08/05/2007, 10:39 AM
Fresh Concrete will have a high PH. If you buy them pre-made you won't know what aggregates were used either. If you make your own you can control the ingredients and cure them to get the PH down.

bosborn1
08/05/2007, 11:28 AM
Gary M hade blocks in his tank for 12 years. Nothing bad ever happened. This was his TOTM tank too.

Scott

KurtsReef
08/05/2007, 11:40 AM
These blocks are more than likely 20 years old or more and have been sitting in my cellar. Will have to get the 75gal down there and see, it would just be a space saver if 1/2 the tank were over the sump.

funman1
08/05/2007, 12:32 PM
So what you guys are saying is, that having high PH blocks UNDER your tank will effect PH?

I can understand IN THE WATER, but just using them as a stand will have bad results????

Altpers0na-old
08/05/2007, 01:06 PM
some strange chemistry in reefing

the only best argument iv seen about using them IN the water is the lack of standards in making the blocks... they can contain anything... cans, cigarette butts, just about anything...

as for under the thing , out of the water... i say go ahead... but i provide no warranty..