PDA

View Full Version : algae buildup on ph inlets... causing more?

XSiVE
08/05/2007, 07:58 PM
so lets say I take a look at my Koralia ph's and they have a bunch of ugly algae on them.. after awhile, will this buildup become somewhat of a bio filter in and of itself?

Im fighting off some nuisance algae and I was just wondering if it builds up on these power heads would it actually be contributing to the problem as well as it might be creating a nitrate factory on its own?

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

I hate brown / green / red algae...

Im running PhosLock, and have been religious on water changes.. my nitrates were falling for quite some time, but then they started to rise a little bit again.. the worst part is that I have no fish in the tank(they are in QT for ich) so the only feeding that goes on is a krill on occasion for the anemone and maybe a mysis for the plate coral. And yes, I use RO+DI water.

help..

edit: params
sg 1.025
pH 8.0-8.3
phosphates 0
nitrates 20
alk 9.6
ca 380
temp ~80

shuturhole316tx
08/05/2007, 08:08 PM
Mine are doing the same, but I am in the middle of an algee bloom from adding new rock.

bertoni
08/05/2007, 08:30 PM
The algae won't do any harm unless they grow enough to plug up the pump. Algae don't contribute nitrate to the water column, in total. If it's harvested out regularly, it'll export nitrate.

XSiVE
08/05/2007, 08:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10488658#post10488658 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
The algae won't do any harm unless they grow enough to plug up the pump. Algae don't contribute nitrate to the water column, in total. If it's harvested out regularly, it'll export nitrate.

hmm.. then I have 0 clue as to the source of any of this.. :confused:

bertoni
08/05/2007, 08:33 PM
How long has this tank been running? Two years?

XSiVE
08/05/2007, 08:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10488675#post10488675 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
How long has this tank been running? Two years?

Yep, It was FOWLR, I let it go for quite some time though, old tank syndrome essentially. It had an undergravel and a canister filter, nitrates used to be off the scale. :fun5:

In the last 5-6 weeks I've added a sump/fuge, skimmer, a ton more turnover, t5 lighting, more live rock (cured), removed the canister, removed the undergravel... its almost like a whole new aquarium, except the fact that I know that the beneficial bacteria has been in there and established for a long time. Am I essentially starting over with all the algae blooms?

bertoni
08/06/2007, 10:05 AM
The live rock might have adsorbed some nutrients, or something similar might be happening. I think the algae blooms might continue for a while.