PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia and Majano Killing ?

Chrigui
08/06/2007, 02:07 PM
i have around 80 of them in my 125G tank i toke all the liverock out and 75% has it.

i separated the contaminated LR and i was thinking if i left the LR out of the tank for 3 or 5 days outdoor, the heat will kill them or am i gonna be in other trouble i don't
know about...

please help me, otherwise the Sand and 80% of the water is still in place, worst scenario i will get new LR but how about the water and Sand ?

chrowski
08/07/2007, 09:34 AM
With my old tank, I just took out the infested pieces and bleached them in a super saturated salinity Salt water in a bucket [not actually super saturated for all you chemists out there]. But yeah, bleach them in heavily salted water, then place them back in your tank...next to the established rock the bleached rock will be an eye sore for a while but it's worth getting rid of the infestation. To make it a little easier perhaps you could quarintine your LR after bleaching to keep an eye on any survivors.
I wouldn't worry about your displays water being bad, but keep a close eye out for any evil aiptasias and manjanos that you might've missed when pulling out the LR.

Chrigui
08/07/2007, 10:45 AM
thanks tom for the personal advice... man i toke a sick leave from work to deal with this evil creatures hehehe,

so, there is no need to put my rock outdoor in the garden per example for 1 to 5 days you mean only a salty bucket and quarantine will do.. ?

acrohead500ppm
08/07/2007, 11:13 AM
or you can take the infest rock one by one and use a small propane torch and burn them up then dunk the rocks in a bucket filled w aquarium water to get any dead/undead cells of the majanos.. for aips a kalk- paste works well

chrowski
08/07/2007, 02:38 PM
acrohead also makes a valid suggestion. Whichever you chose, I personally would stay away from letting the rocks dry out because you could be uncuring them.
In addition, after my supersaturated SW dips (usually for about 6-8hours) I keep the rocks quarintined in a rubbermaid tote with a powerhead, heater and an old skimmer I have laying around. After 24 hours of waiting I smell the rocks to make sure they're still cured. You'll get a horrible smell if they're not cured.
With putting the rocks outside, I'm not positive but I'd assume they would immediately uncure, which is a problem I've never encountered using the supersaturation method.
I like acrohead's idea, Especially b/c there is no risk of uncuring at all. However I've heard [idk how true] that when you stress aptasia it releases spores, so if you didn't rinse the rocks well enough, in theory you could have an outbreak [very unlikely though]. While possibility of a stimulated outbreak with my suggestion is much less likely in the first place.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Chrigui
08/07/2007, 02:41 PM
hehehe thats a good one acrohead maybe i will try both advices

talon4x4
08/07/2007, 02:46 PM
I got Joe's Juice and in seconds it killed the majano I had. Just a tiny little drop and it shriveled right up. Haven't seen any since.

Chrigui
08/07/2007, 02:53 PM
joe's juice is good but i need 2 weeks to get it am located in middle east area and the problem is the LS stores here don't have much stuff, by the time i order online, Aiptasia and Majano will be sitting on my sofa watching TV.

Ritten
08/07/2007, 11:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10500817#post10500817 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chrigui
joe's juice is good but i need 2 weeks to get it am located in middle east area and the problem is the LS stores here don't have much stuff, by the time i order online, Aiptasia and Majano will be sitting on my sofa watching TV.

:lol: Can you get pickle lime there? That mixed into a paste mixed with RO works well.

Chrigui
08/08/2007, 08:03 AM
i got some good news my friend is coming from NY tomorrow i asked him to get me a list of medication heheh (Big List) just in case and the joe's juice is included.

can't wait till i murder the aliens:)
thanks alot guys for the support

Ooulophilia
08/08/2007, 04:35 PM
Sort of off topic (but not entirely). I has thumbing through a 12 year old FAMA for nostalgia, and was reading in reef notes where it was suggested that one of the best ways to kill aptasia it to wave an elegance coral across it! (FAMA, Oct 1995)
We have come a long way, baby!
Oh, and I guess I should offer some advice - it sounds like you removed all of the livestock - you could introduce a butterfly, and let it go to town. Probably would be less work, for a tank your size I would suggest a small Kleins butterfly, one of the hardiest and an excellent aptasia eater. But then you have to catch it, which is a whole nother can of worms!

o.c.d.
08/08/2007, 09:18 PM
I put a copperband in my 175g with 500lbs infested rock once the joes juice became to little to fix a growing problem. First it feasted on my sandbed for two week then aptasia dissapeared what seemed overnight. The healthy copper has held his ground from the unrelenting assult from the pack.(palette ,salfin,yellow tangs) they gave the copper the most trouble. Its been over a year and the copper has secured his place,also feeds on frozen mysis.I have many different colonies of zoanthids, xeina and the copper may have nipped (no proof)at some of the blue xenia but no loss just minor flesh wound. My copperband is very active at night I watch it ride the currents then do giant loops back into it. Cool fish.
I should mention my rock had lots of horizontial crevases where the fish would defend from any attacks with a very impressive defence.

SWSaltwater
08/08/2007, 09:22 PM
For aptasia use atlantic peppermint shrimp (florida suppliers). Majanos use joes juice or the knock off aptasia control from blue life...... You can also get a hypodermic needle and inject the majano with hot water or lemon juice. Either will work but joes juice is the preferred method. I think you can find the formula for joes online. It's kalkwasser and maybe pepper of some kind cause it is hot to the taste.

Ricky@3rdshift
08/19/2007, 10:31 PM
I like the blue life apstasia controls. It is thicker than the joes juice, and in my opinion is way more effective b/c it stay more solid when it hits the apstasia instead of floating off in the current.

theman772
08/21/2007, 04:57 PM
kalkwasser and a saringe is all you need

Chrigui
08/22/2007, 05:56 AM
thanks theman772 for the kalkwasser advice...

beaupierce
08/22/2007, 11:20 AM
I had a few big roks covered with aiptasia and what I did was soak them in a bucket with RO?DI water covered lid for 2 days and then took the lid off and left uncovered for another 24hrs.
All the aiptasia is gone and there are still lots of oraganisms living.
Also a heck of alot cheaper!!
But yes, Joe's Juice works great for touch up here and there.
Also if you are going to use Joe's Juice DO NOT use the whole bottle at one time. It says "reef safe" but I have seen more than one tank crash after using a whole bottle.
By the way I have a 125 too
good luck and pm if you have any questions. Me and aiptasia are "good friends"

Chrigui
08/23/2007, 04:35 AM
thanks beaupierce this is really helpful.

beaupierce
08/23/2007, 09:19 AM
good luck and keep me posted on how it turns out.

kaledrina
08/23/2007, 04:40 PM
I had ~10 large aiptasias. I bought a syringe from Walgreens and some lemon juice concentrate from the local grocery store. I injected each 'nem with 1 ml of lemon juice. I read it off of about.com. It worked wonderfully and only mildly irritated my Anthelia but it didn't even phase my candy cane corals.

One rock I completely removed for two days, soaked in saltwater for another two, and then placed back in the tank. No Aiptasia, but all the coraline was completely wiped out.

beaupierce
08/23/2007, 09:43 PM
lemon juice is too acidic!!! thats what killed all your coraline!

Reefmack
08/24/2007, 07:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10621830#post10621830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beaupierce
lemon juice is too acidic!!! thats what killed all your coraline!

I think he meant the coralline was only killed off on the one rock he dried out for 2 days.

impreza619
08/27/2007, 02:59 PM
hot kalkwasser mix and a syringe. works perfect every time.

west co reefer
08/28/2007, 12:06 AM
Joe's Juice works really well but since you have so many it would be a PITA to nuke all of them. I would just use WC peppermint shrimp.