PDA

View Full Version : QT Filtration

ndas2976
08/07/2007, 10:58 AM
I have a 40 gallon breeder set up as my QT/Hospital tank with 2 hob filters. I am looking to get better filter for the tank. What do you guys think of me getting rid of the hob filters and swithcing over to a small Amiracle wet/dry filter, do you think that would be a good idea? If not, can someone recommend some quality hob's to go with. Thanks

Nanz
08/07/2007, 11:16 AM
The filter you have is fine. For QT/Hospital tank you dont need any biological filtration and if your dosing the tank(Hospital mode) you probably won't be using a chemical filter such as carbon either since it will decrease its effectiveness. I think a simple HOB powerfilter will be fine since your going to be changing the water instead of cycling the tank.

I had recently bought myself a 12 gallon nanocube for a QT/Hospital tank but its really overkill and I will end up using it for a frag or nano tank.

Hospital and QT tanks are supposed to be simple so they can be cleaned easier and to prevent anything from affecting the fish in the tank. The less you have in there the less variables you will have to worry about.

10 - 20 gallon tank, power filter and heater is all you need. I would add a thermometer and a seachem ammonia detector so you can monitor when the water needs changed withough having to do a wet test everyday.