PDA

View Full Version : Why is my GBTA so brown?

eskymick
08/07/2007, 01:25 PM
In April, I purchased a very healthy looking GBTA from my LFS. At the time it was an awesome shade of nearly neon green, with nice, fat bubble tips.

Over the course of the summer, it has increasingly gotten larger an more and more brown. It is to the point where there is barely even a hint of green remaining.

I have to think it's healthy. It grows fast, it eats well (silversides with Selcon) and it stays put. It is hosting a pair of Ocellaris clowns.

The GBTA is in a tank dominated by SPS corals and the paramaters are kept at levels ideal for them.

PO4 and NO3 are unmeasurable. MH lighting 250w 14K

Is this the way a GBTA should look .. or am I doing something wrong?

http://www.rolandmachinery.com/Gbta_2a.jpg

bureau13
08/07/2007, 03:15 PM
Hmmmm...I suppose it could have been died? Possibly it could have just been bleached badly, and its regained its zooxenthallae (sp???) which tend to be a kind of golden brown. In that case though I would still think you'd see the green through all that...it would just be more opaque.

I got a BTA that I actually thought was tan when viewed under 10K halides, but when I changed to Phoenix 14K it looked quite green. However, you're already under 14K.

celano
08/07/2007, 07:13 PM
We've had a BTA for almost a year now and it looks exactely like yours. Its really healthy like yours and seems happy but like yours the color just isnt what it should be.....The only differance is ours is under PC's not MH's.

I'de like to know what the cause of this is too.

ChunksInClemson
08/07/2007, 08:27 PM
It might not have been a GBTA to begin with, just a BTA. But the good news is its getting back some of its zooanthellae which means it is healthier. Keep us updated on its recovery!

Reefbox
08/07/2007, 08:32 PM
Lighting can do that but i c u have mh. I had a GBTA go brown then got new bulbs and the green is coming back.

How old r your bulbs?

timrandlerv10
08/07/2007, 09:36 PM
i think that one looks great...if you dont want it anymore, i'll pay for shipping so you dont have to worry about him gettng a good home, and you can try again.

Reefbox: will a spectrum shift really make that much of a difference?

Chunks: six months is about max on a bulb. do you have any pics from when you got him?

Reefbox
08/07/2007, 11:12 PM
timandlerv,
I have found that the spectrum diff does make that much of a difference on my gbta & rbta tanks.

I have these guys under regular cheap shop lights (two 4' 40w lights). They will grow if feed but they will lose pigmentation from old bulbs or not enough lights.

eskymick
08/08/2007, 12:25 AM
my bulbs are about 6 months old ... but the GBTA started turning brown when the bulbs were only 2 months old.

Subliminal
08/08/2007, 08:05 AM
Here's my 'green' BTA:

http://lh4.google.com/damontmorris/Rre0bS_DLbI/AAAAAAAABq0/iXvbC6j7ZK8/s800/IMG_3133.jpg

I use 6500k and actinic. You can definitely see some green on him, but the 6500k definitely makes it look orange.

eskymick
08/08/2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks all ... apparently it's coloration is fairly normal.

I don't want it to split. Any suggestions on that?

Subliminal
08/08/2007, 12:58 PM
Maybe tell it about how much work children are, and the rising rate of college tuition?

Ha.

Ok, well, if it does split, you just sell the baby after a bit and recoup some reefer costs!